CG Dra: a VSS campaign

Forums Variable Stars CG Dra: a VSS campaign

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 196 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Shears
    Participant

Good to see the data rolling in for this star. Many thanks to all observers. It’s been faint for a few days: I’ve have it at 16.6 yo 16.7 the last couple of nights.

Now the nights are getting a bit longer, some time-series photometry runs become possible.

Jeremy Shears
    Participant

Currently in outburst.

Stewart John Bean
    Participant

I am occasionally contributing to the present campaign on CG Dra with a V filter on iTEL 18 in Spain. Many of the results are being gathered using the CV method. 

What systematic differences do we expect between the two?

Stewart

Jeremy Shears
    Participant

Looking at the light curve Stewart, there is not much difference. In any case, the objective of the project is to measure the time and duration of each outburst, rather than its precise mag. Thanks for your observation. If you are getting decent signal to noise ratio then stick with the V filter -after all, you are using a decent aperture scope. But no filter allows better SNR, so is often preferable with small telescopes.

Dr Paul Leyland
    Participant

Nights are moderately long (though dusty and/or smoky) in these parts.

The orbital period of 0.18864 days according to AAVSO appears well determined.  What is the value of further lengthy observation runs?  Is there a suggestion that the period may be changing or are we looking for flickering in the accretion disk?

I am prepared to spend some telescope time if it is worth my while but there other calls on it too.

(Added in edit: not that it makes any difference tonight. Complete cloud cover as of about 45 minutes ago.)

Jeremy Shears
    Participant

Our earlier work suspectEd shallow eclipses. Can we confirm and does the depth vary with outburst status (outburst vs quiescence)?

Stewart John Bean
    Participant

Got a few images now from the AAVSOnet SRO telescope in the USA on CG Dra. It has been down for some time.

Hopefully more will follow.

Stewart

Maxim Usatov
    Participant

Had a run on CG Dra tonight.

Attachments:
    Jeremy Shears
    Participant

Thanks Max. There’s a lot of variation there. Not sure it’s regular though. Time will tell.
    Keep up the good work!

Go well!
    Jeremy

Maxim Usatov
    Participant

Thanks, Jeremy! With tonight data..

Attachments:
    Maxim Usatov
    Participant

More data on May 13th.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by Maxim Usatov.
    Jeremy Shears
    Participant

Thanks Max. When I have a moment I’ll put it through Peranso to see if there are any signals.

Maxim Usatov
    Participant

Looks like it’s in outburst.

Attachments:
    Jeremy Shears
    Participant

Yes, mag is certainly consistent with an outburst Max

Maxim Usatov
    Participant

Got some interesting result on the data collected. Although probably spurious, the period is really close to the 6h 22m +/- 26 m period for a matching K5 main sequence star mentioned in Bruch et al. (1997). I’ve never used FALC before, so not sure if this power is of any significance, likely not?

Max

Attachments:
    Maxim Usatov
    Participant

Today CG Dra was at it’s brightest ever recorded during the past 2 years.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by Maxim Usatov.
    Attachments:
    Maxim Usatov
    Participant

Sorry for double posting, it looks like I only have limited time available to edit my previous post. The 6-h period disappeared with today’s data, so it was spurious and likely me not understanding how to use FALC. I now realize it requires manual manipulation with light curve segments to bring them down to the same magnitude level, so I dropped this idea. With today’s data, I have fitted a high-degree polynomial to “detrend” data assuming eclipses also occur in the outburst state, and many algorithms converge on a 4.52-h period appearing in the residuals. Although, still, more observations are obviously needed. I also wonder if I should search eclipses in the quiescent data only.

Max

Attachments:
    Jeremy Shears
    Participant

Worth looking for quiescence eclipses, Max. Accretion disc might be smaller then and thus more easily eclipsed

Maxim Usatov
    Participant

30 s resolution, CV mode.

Attachments:
    Maxim Usatov
    Participant

Another run with 30 s resolution. Refined ensemble selection and added visual ensemble/check star control – much better precision, albeit the seeing was pretty bad and clouds began to appear in the middle and near the end of the run. The routine handled the situations well. Hopefully fully prepared to try to catch those eclipses.

Attachments:
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 196 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.