New website – members’ full names

Forums Website News and Help New website – members’ full names

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Alex Pratt
    Participant

Hi,

The website is now displaying my full name on my member’s page and my posted images. This has also occurred with some other members. Publishing middle names can be a security risk.

I logged in to my account to change it back to my previous (abridged) version. Clicked on My album, Edit profile, and it says “Oops! That page can’t be found”
    I get the same error when trying to edit my Web profile.

Thanks,

Alex.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by Alex Pratt.
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by Alex Pratt.
    Alex Pratt
    Participant

After logging out/in a couple of times I was able to get a clean login to Edit my Web profile. I’ve now reset my displayed name to its previous shorter version.

Alex.

John Thorpe
    Participant

On the subject of profiles, my photo now appears as very faint. Possibly this is intended? The full colour is resumed in the editing page.

Alan Thomas
    Participant

I recently found my full name displayed on my member album and changed it back to the less formal version by editing my profile. But a few weeks later, I found it had reverted to the full monty. Changed it back again – but today I found it had reverted again!
    Is there any way of stopping ‘the System’ from overriding a user’s wishes? Or is it me?
    A minor irritation – but still an irritation!
    Alan

Peter Carson
    Participant

You might be able to see your own full name in your profile when you are logged into the BAA website but others can only see your first and last names. I’ve checked profiles, galleries, and forum posts for everyone on this thread and I can only see your first and last names.
    Peter

Alan Thomas
    Participant

Peter
    I don’t know what others could see but as I recall, I could see everyone’s full details. I’ll have another look the next time it flips.
    Alan

Alex Pratt
    Participant

Hi Peter,

Have a look at a couple of pages of the Observers’ Gallery and you’ll see that some list their full ‘name, rank and number’. They can edit this in their profile.

Cheers,

Alex.

Alan Thomas
    Participant

System has switched to my full name again!! And profile cannot be accessed. Curses!

Alan Thomas
    Participant

. . . and looks like the Sheep have gone to sleep . . .

Alex Pratt
    Participant

Hi Alan,

Drat, double drat and triple drat!

I just wish we could have retained the old website, and that Microsoft had kept my favourite Windows XP, and…

Clear skies,

Alex.

Alan Thomas
    Participant

System has switched to my full name yet again – and the web profile page does not exist (according to Sheep) … thank goodness it s not running the nuclear alert system . . . or is it?? Eek!

Dr Paul Leyland
    Participant

Hmm, I now appear to be Dr Paul Leyland.

Though I admit to having been doctored, I use the title only to impress the impressionable.

No worries. Perhaps there are impressionable people reading this.

Alex Pratt
    Participant

The website – aided and abetted by SheepDip? – reverted to displaying my full name (again, again,…). After several attempts to access my online profile and getting “Oops…” error messages I logged out, rebooted my computer, logged in and after two more attempts I was able to edit my profile and reset my Display Name.

Let’s hope it doesn’t start displaying a member’s date of birth, bank account details, etc.

Alex.

Alan Thomas
    Participant

Same here Alex. Just changed it back – again!
    Alan

Andy Wilson
    Keymaster

This is on a list of changes that will be going to the BAA website developer. Unfortunately I do not have a time frame but I shall ask for this to be done sooner rather than later.

Alex Pratt
    Participant

Thanks Andy!

Alan Thomas
    Participant

Cheers Andy – and good luck.
    Alan

David Totney
    Participant

Unless we’ve been hacked.

Telescopes: One Newtonian, three Maksutov Cassegrains, seven refractors, and a large SCT.

Roy Hughes
    Participant

Just fell for this one (I’m an infrequent poster!). Speedily sorted out after an “Oops…” and a second login. But the Web profile page is misleading. There seems to be at least two places that appear to be for putting in a short name / nickname as well as the drop down list at the top (which looks to have done it for me). er…
    Roy.

Martin Lewis
    Participant

Andy Wilson told me that this problem could now be fixed and I changed my name in my profile to remove the Mr. and now I’m back to just Martin Lewis, which I what I wanted. Seems the change in name has stayed rather than reverted as that was a few days ago now.

Worth others trying.

Martin Lewis (previously Mr. Martin Lewis!)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.