Nova Cas 2021

Forums Variable Stars Nova Cas 2021

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    Daryl Dobbs
    Participant

Couldn’t see it without my 15×70 binoculars, at 22:30ut last night I estimated it was around 7.5, typo error not 5.5 as I previously wrote. Observed it in 31st through haze and it seemed about the same as the previous night. But not the best conditions to observe 

Daryl Dobbs
    Participant

I had a quick look last night at around 21:45ut and it seemed around mag7 but sky conditions weren’t that good due to haze. I wonder if that’s it for the second peak and it will fade or even if we will see more peaks, very interesting article in the latest vas circular about it being miss- classified ages ago. Thinking about it how accurate was the position as it’s a crowded star field 

Jeremy Shears
    Participant

Gradual brightening continue. Now brighter than 7.0

Daryl Dobbs
    Participant

Reasonably clear a few high altitude clouds, hindered by my neighbours washing setting off her security light in a the gentle breeze. So wait 5 minutes until it goes out.

Seems to be fading when compared to the weekend, last night I estimated it at mag7.9

Jeremy Shears
    Participant

Recent brightening trend continues

Daryl Dobbs
    Participant

I’ve had 9 continuous nights of clear skies but last night the transparency was awful, doesn’t look a lot better tonight so far. I hope to follow this one for some time in Binoculars and a 10 inch Newt. Skies around here suffer from a lot of LED street lights. 

Neil Morrison
    Participant

This morning the BBC  Weather  reporter  was blaming our very poor  sky conditions on  high  altitude smoke  from the USA  wild fires. For the last  two nights  ie 21/22 July and 22/23 July  the  moon has looked as if it was in Eclipse and very few  stars  dimmer than  second Magnitude were  visible naked  eye. Thunder Storms in Forecast  for the  next 48 hours ..  So not much chance  of getting an upto date image of this  long lasting Nova. 

john simpson
    Participant

I wondered if there might be evidence of any asymmetry in the nova due to shocks or clumping of fast/slow ejecta and if it might show up in linear polarisation and wavelength dependence. Measurements from 21-22/07/2021 [file attached] don’t seem to show much other than interstellar polarisation characteristic.

Stewart John Bean
    Participant

I thought I would give this bright nova a try with iTEL 18 (300 mm) in Spain. Even with only a 5 sec exposure the images were saturating. Then all iTEL images are charged as if they were 60 sec exposures – not economical. 

So I will stick to fainter objects unless someone can point out a workaround.

Stewart

Nick James
    Participant

Stewart, Yes, it’s back up to 5.6 unfiltered tonight (July 26) which is not far short of its brightest at the previous peak. I’m doing 1s exposures and it is not far off saturating my camera. It is very hazy here but I think I’ll get the binoculars out again.

Stewart John Bean
    Participant

The good news is that iTEL are  forgiving of my mistakes in setting up runs. They have refunded my account which I think is very good of them.

Daryl Dobbs
    Participant

seems to be fading quickly, easily visible in my 20×70 binoculars on Wednesday 28th but last night the 1st August  I couldn’t see it. Was going to get my telescope out but clouds rolled in just as I set up. 

David Boyd
    Participant

Here is a spectrum of Nova Cas 2021 taken on 6th August with a LISA (R~1065) and calibrated in absolute flux using a concurrently measured V magnitude of 7.70. There are broad emission lines of H I Balmer and He I, all with P-Cygni absorption dips, and weak Fe II emission lines with double peaks. The H-alpha line is so strong that exposures had to be kept to 40 sec to avoid saturating. Further information about the spectrum and more plots can be found on the ARAS Forum at

http://www.spectro-aras.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2744&p=15888#p15888

David

Jeremy Shears
    Participant

This nova is still showing lots of interesting activity. And it’s still 8th mag

Jeremy Shears
    Participant

The nova that keeps on giving!

Daryl Dobbs
    Participant

Never ceases to amaze me each night I observe it. I hope it continues for a long time. I hope there will be a paper on what is going on with iy.

Jeremy Shears
    Participant

This paper on ArXiv today on the light curve of the nova includes spectroscopy from BAA members: https://arxiv.org/abs/2111.02463

Daryl Dobbs
    Participant

Interesting paper and it’s good to see the BAA acknowledged, looks like it will keep the professionals busy for a while.

Robin Leadbeater
    Participant

It is slightly strange that they decided to use a subset of all the available spectra (There are currently 104 in the BAA, 392 in the ARAS and 113 in the AAVSO databases, most of which would meet the resolution criterion though many are likely duplicates) I wonder what the selection criterion was.

Daryl Dobbs
    Participant

Seems V1405 Cas has been detected in X-rays according to the link below.

ATel #15111: V1405 Cas is now a faint Super-Soft Source (astronomerstelegram.org)

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 89 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.