Supernova in M101 !

Forums Variable Stars Supernova in M101 !

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    Lars Lindhard
    Participant

Very interesting thread.

Could I make useful spectra of the SN with my StarAnalyzer 100?

Robin Leadbeater
    Participant

Very interesting thread.

Could I make useful spectra of the SN with my StarAnalyzer 100?

Yes it is certainly reachable with a Star Analyser for example

https://britastro.org/observations/observation.php?id=20230523_183229_5116a1a27f78a1ea
    https://britastro.org/observations/observation.php?id=20230523_194606_cc526483f5e34422

but the features seen earlier have greatly reduced and at the moment even with higher resolutions it is not showing very much except a slowly cooling blue continuum. Here is the evolution with my ALPY600
    https://britastro.org/specdb/data_graph.php?obs_id=13786%2C13783%2C13778%2C13774&multi=yes&legend_pos=ne

Cheers
    Robin

Robin Leadbeater
    Participant

It seems that the R and B are slowly swapping dominance!

Yes my spectrum from last night shows it cooling further to a black body temperature of ~12000K and a fit to an A3v star continuum with a B-V = +0.1

Mr Ian David Sharp
    Participant

Yes my spectrum from last night shows it cooling further to a black body temperature of ~12000K and a fit to an A3v star continuum with a B-V = +0.1

Here’s today’s RVB magnitude plot. The cooling clearly visible with the latest point B-V = +0.12.

Robin Leadbeater
    Participant

So B mag peaked in just 5 days from the explosion on the 18th. That’s pretty fast I think, even for a type II

Alex Pratt
    Participant

Sky & Telescope’s Bob King has provided a simple overlay of M101 and the supernova onto the AAVSO chart, if it helps visual observers

https://skyandtelescope.org/wp-content/uploads/SN-2023ixf-chart-AAVSO.jpg

Alex.

Mr Ian David Sharp
    Participant

Today’s update attached.
    Cheers
    Ian.

Robin Leadbeater
    Participant
    Robin Leadbeater
    Participant

Just listened to an excellent episode of BBC World Service “Science in Action” almost entirely dedicated to SN 2023ixf
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/w3ct4sc9
    Astronomers, both amateur and professional talking enthusiastically about the discovery and what we know so far with lots of good science and even a live observing session on the radio!

Nick James
    Participant

Robin – That was a very interesting programme. Some of the BBC’s science output is still pretty good. Here’s my lightcurve so far taken from the BAA database. Hopefully this good weather will continue so we can keep monitoring it.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by Andy Wilson.
    Mr Ian David Sharp
    Participant

Good morning all,

See the attached for the graph of my continuing nightly R, V and B measurements. The continuing drop in blue magnitude is fascinating. B-V was +0.18 last night.

Cheers
    Ian.

Andy Wilson
    Keymaster

Apologies to Nick, I accidentally deleted his light curve of SN 2023ixf. Now added back after Nick sent me a copy.

As an admin I have delete and detach links, next to the link to view attachments. I must have hit one of those when trying to view his light curve.

It is great seeing all the photometry and spectroscopy of this supernova.

Andy

Alan Thomas
    Participant

Thanks Robin. A very interesting and well-produced programme on SN2023ixf. Especially enjoyed the observing session!
    Alan

Mr Ian David Sharp
    Participant

Here’s my latest graph including last night’s results (31st May). I make B-V = +0.24.
    Ian.

Lars Lindhard
    Participant

Any explanation for the drop in blue magnitude?

Andy Wilson
    Keymaster

I suspect the drop in the blue magnitude is due to the material cooling as the ejecta of the supernova expands. Taking a first approximation of a black body, then the shorter frequency blue light will reduce first as the explosion cools. You can see the effect in Robin’s spectra animation from a few days ago.
    With the caveat that I am not an expert on supernova, so someone else may be able to jump in to confirm or refute this notion.
    Andy

Mr Ian David Sharp
    Participant

Any explanation for the drop in blue magnitude?

Yes, as Andy has explained – cooling.
    Ian.

Jane Clark
    Participant

Hi:

Since type II supernovae are hydrogen-rich and type I are hydrogen-poor, would shooting through a hydrogen alpha filter be a quick-and-dirty way to distinguish them without spectroscopy?

Thanks,

Jane.

Jane Clark

Robin Leadbeater
    Participant

Since type II supernovae are hydrogen-rich and type I are hydrogen-poor, would shooting through a hydrogen alpha filter be a quick-and-dirty way to distinguish them without spectroscopy?

Hydrogen present (in type II) or absent (in type Ia,b,c) in the spectrum would be a better description. The problem is other events also pretend to be type II supernovae like novae, dwarf novae, luminous blue variable supernova impostors etc. You need the detail of a spectrum to be sure of what you are looking at. The spectrum of supernovae also vary with time and with type II, H alpha emission does not really dominate the spectrum for a lot of it and when it does it is often a combination of emission and absorption (a P Cygni shape line). When typically measured a few days after discovery the type II spectrum can be almost devoid of features. This one was discovered early so did show some H alpha emission early on but even then the dominant feature was that is was very blue and currently it looks almost like an A type star but without hydrogen absorption lines, just a very small P Cygni H alpha line. See here the evolution of the spectrum over the first week.
    https://britastro.org/observations/observation.php?id=20230528_140227_583fe05370c08912

For a more general overview of using spectroscopy to classify supernovae I did a talk about it here
    https://britastro.org/videos/using-low-resolution-spectroscopy-to-confirm-supernova-discoveries-2
    In essence it is done by matching the spectrum to templates of various types of supernovae taken at different times
    Attached is an example from the presentation of type Ia and type IIP spectra around or after maximum light. I think it would not be straightforward to distinguish them from just H alpha and broad band images

Cheers
    Robin

Robin Leadbeater
    Participant

Attached is an example from the presentation of type Ia and type IIP spectra around or after maximum light.

Incidentally Koichi Itagaki also discovered both of these supernovae

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.