Forum Replies Created
I’m sure you have already spotted these, but just in case…
Has a few early copies, scannned at reduced resolution.
On page 288 onwards in the copy a google search found for me.
As you might suspect Tewdwr comes into english as Tudor. There was a good welsh/english name thanslation table available on the Find My Past website. Proved very useful understanding my own family history. Wonder if the ..us ending might just be a latinisation, cf. Kopernik/Copernicus.
Thanks for the great photograph.
It appears to be in super condition. Maybe one careful owner from new 🙂
Given the difficulty of using it when fully extended, I doubt it was ever used in earnest. At least not without some kind of pole and cradle arrangement.
No new information I’m afraid.
But his 150 inch (fl) telescope pictured in the online catalogue of the British Optical Association Museum is truly the stangest thing I’ve come across in a long time.
Good luck in your hunt.
Love the Gothic on the front cover. Thankfully not continued inside.
The Brunsvega reminded me of my computer course at Wandsworth Tech in the early 1960’s where it was used to introduce techniques of multiplication on the basic computers of the era. I later programmed mainframes that did not have hardware math units to do multiplication using the shift and add principal from these machines! So if your bank interest in the 60’s/70’s was wrong, it was probably me.
It slooks like the Sky at Night will be touching on this next sunday.
“Beyond the Visible
The Sky at Night team discovers the new techniques being pioneered by vision-impaired astronomers to see the universe, using their senses of hearing and touch.”
If a smaller diameter (22mm?) carbon fibre tube is rigid enough then you could try a split sleave of thin 1 inch diameter alluminium tube over it for the grub screw to bite into. This would spread the load on the carbon composite. I note (on ebay) that the clamps sold for carbon fibre tubes are not dissimilar to (posh) pipe clamps, so it might work.
I was curious. So I googled around and found this site giving a DIY version of what you are trying to do.
Certainly looks do-able, advisable?, who knows.
Hope this helps.
Puzzled by sim20% in the quote I looked at the .pdf and it’s ~20%
got it now.
They’re all at Heathrow.
Flightradar24 is showing a reasonable but not large amount of activity in the SE right now with a massive pileup at LHR 🙂
Skim the earth at about 4 million miles distant.
New definition of skim I suppose.
Film of the 1960’s was certainly ‘Safety Film’ and 35mm was often marked as such outside the sprocket holes. I don’t think the explosive stuff was around post WW2. Of more concern is colour shift. The dyes used in colour slides are not that reliable over time. It’s a very good reason to digitise them now and correct them where necessary. I’ve got some commercialy produced Kodak slides that (since 1973) have realy shifted, to the extent that I would not show them again. Mind you, they were not wonderful when new. B&W film and slides (especially home processed) of course don’t shift with time.
I’ve found a good write up on film base at: https://www.nedcc.org/assets/media/documents/Preservation%20Leaflets/5_1_FilmBaseGuide.pdf
Still complaining about line 883… Oh well.
Someone has beaten you to it.
Just found a 3D printed adaptor on ebay!
“Telescope red dot finder to Camera Hotshoe mount New 3D printed”
A few years ago I experimented with a cardboard gadget [some assembly required!] that was supposed to enable a regular scanner to do negatives and slides – search for:
How To Scan Negatives Using A Standard Scanner
and you should find it. I gave up and got a cheap scanner at Maplin. Sorry, not astro slides – just our street party in 1977.
With only two surfaces the tolles was always considered to be “bright”, but of course at that time these eypieces were not coated.
There seems to be a problem with the post, the image of the results just shows a broken image symbol, however the click through to your members page works OK.
Glad to see Ponder Stibbons has finally recieved the recognition he so richly deserves after so many years sterling work at UU.
I prefer to try methelated sprit (alcohol) first, it’s less likly to remove the paint as well as the glue.
But if that fails, white sprit should do the job.
A google search for BJD date found http://astroutils.astronomy.ohio-state.edu/time/utc2bjd.html
This in turn leads on to ‘source‘ (at foot of the page). Maybe this would help.
Sorry, I don’t understand a word of it but it may mean somthing to you.