British Astronomical Association
Supporting amateur astronomers since 1890

Secondary menu

Main menu

BAA Community

NLC from Epsom, Surrey

Image

Expand image

About this observation
Observer
Peter Mugridge
Time of observation
05/07/2020 - 22:06
Object
Noctilucent Clouds
Observing location
Epsom, Surrey
Equipment
Nikon D40 - hand held
Exposure
f5.6 for 3.6 seconds at ISO1600

Apologies once more for the foreground blur; at least the NLC structure is still there!  I think I should at this stage explain that I have a trap door style skylight, but this opens towards the northerly aspect - which is perfectly logical for 99% of all astronomical observations as it is better to have the southerly and easterly aspects unobstructed, but of course the other 1% will be NLCs - and this is why it is particularly difficult to do anything other than hand hold the camera with it jammed against the skylight frame when looking in that direction...  Over the three recent instances of NLCs that I have posted up here today I in fact took far more images - but had to reject the rest of them and delete them on the spot as not only was the foreground blurred in them, but so were the NLCs themselves!

Copyright of all images and other observations submitted to the BAA remains with the owner of the work. Reproduction of the work by third-parties is expressly forbidden without the consent of the copyright holder. For more information, please contact the webmaster.