[BAA-ebulletin 00689] Reminder of next BAA meeting

BAA electronic bulletins service baa-ebulletin at britastro.org
Mon Aug 13 10:08:19 BST 2012

I would like to remind you that the weekend meeting of the BAA will be 7th
to 9th September in Aberdeen. With the sun approaching maximum it is a good
time to visit the north and have a chance to catch one happening.

We do still have some places so if you are interested in coming please send
your booking to the BAA office no later than 20th August. Details can be
found on the BAA website http://britastro.org/aberdeen2012

The cost of this event is £15.00 to BAA members and £20.00 to non-members
(price includes refreshments and a £5.0 food voucher to use in the
university eating venues,). The weekend starts on Friday evening at 19.30
and on Saturday starts at 10:30. The weekend concludes on Sunday with a
short walk and visit to the historical book exhibition.

The programme is below :-

 Friday Evening

19:30

Registration – Tea/coffee

20:00

Dr Stuart Clark ‘Isaac Newton and the Sensorium of God’

Saturday Day

10:30

Registration – Tea/coffee

10:50

Official welcome – BAA President, Prof W Leatherbarrow

11:00

Dr Dave Gavine - Aurora

12.00

Prof Alan Hood ‘Our Sun’s Magnetic Personality’

13:00

Lunch

14:30

Torcuill Torrance – Local Astronomy

15:00

Ken Kennedy - Noctilucent Clouds

16:00

Tea

16:30

Denis Buczynski ‘North by Northwest (or Inverness and Beyond)’

17:30

Raffle & Close

Evening

19:30

Registration – Tea/coffee

* *

20:00

Dr John Mason - Eclipses

Sunday Morning

10:00

Dr John S. Reid – Astronomical Tour (Approx 2 hours)

* *

Details correct at the time of printing.

To avoid clashing with the St Machar’s Cathedral 11 am service, the tour
will begin at St Machar’s Cathedral at *10 am *where we will be able to see
inside the cathedral and visit the gravestones.  Walk back along the High
Street and the first group (maximum of 10) will visit the Cromwell Tower
Observatory with a guide while the remainder go to the exhibition, which
will open at 10.30.  Up to 2 further groups (maximum of 10 each) will visit
the Observatory, starting from the Exhibition at 11 am and 11.30.  The
Exhibition will remain open until mid-day.

The Exhibition can be visited without participating in either the visit to
St Machar’s Cathedral or the visit to the Cromwell Tower Observatory

*Distances, etc.*

* *

St Machar’s Cathedral to Cromwell Tower or Exhibition, about 0.5 miles.
The Observatory is situated at the top of a tower in King’s quadrangle.
The outside of the tower is readily accessible but the access to the
observatory itself requires climbing a historic spiral stone staircase and
finally a narrow wooden staircase.

The Exhibition (in the basement of the new University Library –accessible
by lift) to the Observatory is about 0.3 miles.

We still have 6 rooms provisionally booked at the Premier Inn which will be
available until Friday. If you are still considering coming and would like
to take up one of these you will need to book through the BAA office before
17th August.

Hope to see you there

Hazel

Hazel Collett