[BAA-ebulletin 00941] Christmas Lecture on 10th December - New speaker for the Christmas Lecturer

BAA electronic bulletins service baa-ebulletin at britastro.org
Wed Oct 12 13:11:35 BST 2016

Dear All

Unfortunately Carole Haswell is now unable to give the Christmas Lecture as
she has been given time on the telescope in Chile. She is using the HARPS
spectrograph on the 3.6m telescope to conduct a radial velocity search for
very close-in, low mass exoplanets. i.e. orbital periods < 1 day, masses <
10 Earth masses. These are intrinsically rare, but I had a clever idea
which allowed us to work out from the stellar spectra which stars are
likely to host them. Our targets are all bright nearby stars so we can get
some really beautifully precise data on these planets once we find them.
One target is a naked eye star.

Dr Joanna Barstow has kindly agreed to now do the Christmas Lecture
instead. Her title is ‘Atmospheres on other worlds: the next step for
exoplanet science’

As you are aware the Christmas meeting is over subscribed and we do have a
waiting list. Please can I remind you to let us know if you have decided
not to come so we can let womeon on the waiting list have your place.

Hazel

--
*Hazel Collett*
*Meetings Secretary For the British Astronomical Association*

*Registered Charity No. 210769*