[BAA-ebulletin 00570] Public outreach at this year's National Astronomy Meeting

BAA electronic bulletins service baa-ebulletin at britastro.org
Mon Mar 14 11:18:27 GMT 2011

This year's National Astronomy Meeting, organised by the Royal Astronomical
Society, is in Llandudno from 17th - 21st April
http://www.ras.org.uk/nam-2011. As part of the programme, they are planning
some public outreach events. On the Wednesday evening there will be a public
lecture by Lucie Green and on Monday evening a Welsh language lecture
organised by Paul Roche of the Faulkes Telescope team.

I have been asked by Robert Massey at the RAS if the amateur community would
be interested in helping at these events. If there are any BAA members in
the area who are interested and willing to set up a small BAA stand at these
evening events, please let me know and we will supply some publicity
material for you to distribute. Also, if any of you are members of local
astronomical societies in the area who would like to support the event by
taking along telescopes for the public to use if it is clear, I'm sure this
would be much appreciated. In that case, I suggest the local society makes
contact with Robert Massey at the RAS (rm at ras.org.uk) to let him know you
wish to participate.

This is a good opportunity for the amateur and professional communities to
work together to promote astronomy to the public.

David Boyd
president at britastro.org