[BAA-ebulletin 00934] Windows 10 Update

BAA electronic bulletins service baa-ebulletin at britastro.org
Sat Sep 17 15:07:05 BST 2016

I have been notified by Carl Bowron (a longstanding Member of the Association) that the recent update of Windows 10 - v.1607, available since 12 September - is not compatible with some camera software. I quote:

'I spent two hours updating my computer, and all appeared to work normally after the upgrade. However, the next day I attempted to do some astro-imaging, only to find that none of the imaging software would allow my cameras to connect to the computer. The Celestron iCap software stopped completely when the camera was connected, and the Firecapture software displayed a completely black screen. The problem was only resolved when I restored the system to use Windows 10 v.1511 ... The Imaging Source company is looking into a fix for the software.'

The same difficulties arose five years ago with Windows 7. At that time I consulted the membership, and the numerous replies were published in Technical Tips No. 1 (5 October 2011). Therefore, please let me know if you have worked a solution, so that other Members can be advised.

Bob Marriott

Director, Instruments and Imaging Section

ram at hamal.demon.co.uk