Preparing for the eruption of T CrB

Forums Variable Stars Preparing for the eruption of T CrB

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Stewart John Bean
    Participant

I have tried to answer my own question without particular success. Certainly gamma ray bursts (GRB) are detected about once per day by satellites. Close supernovae may have caused extinction events and ground based radio astronomy may have a chance. I think it is possible that at a dark site and with a whole sky detector sensitive to green light (from excited N2) you may detect something. I am not going out in a deck chair waiting for a few seconds flash!

The largest GRB so far was GRB 221009A ( on 2022 October 9) which was associated with a supernovae 2 billion light years away. . Search “A Significant Sudden Ionospheric Disturbance Associated with Gamma-Ray Burst GRB 221009A” . https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.3847/2515-5172/ac9d2f/meta
    The event was detected with a very low frequency radio SuperSID monitor.

Are the radio section aware?

Now a recurrent nova is not a supernovae and the radiation is not focussed in our direction, but it is a million times closer so who knows.

Stewart

Bill Ward
    Participant

Hi,
    I was testing out the camera I’ll be using in my next meteor camera system and thought it would be a good idea to check what’s going on with T CrB.
    This is a single 5 second unguided exposure, binned 2×2, cropped, linear stretch and re-sized. Taken 2024 04 09 23 46 58 BST. I found a finder chart on line but I’m not 100% sure if T CrB is bright enough to be visible.
    I’ve circled what I think might be T CrB. The brightest star is Epsilon CrB for orientation. Does anyone have an image with T CrB in it to compare?
    cheers,
    Bill.

Bill Ward
    Participant

How does one edit messages?
    Bill.

AlanM
    Participant

Bill,

Uploading your image to Astronomy.Net confirms your marking.

Attachments:
    Robin Leadbeater
    Participant

Here it is in a 1 sec exposure with my finder last night. (Fuzzy with this unfiltered fast achromat due to the high flux in the IR)

Cheers
    Robin

Bill Ward
    Participant

Hi Alan/Robin,
    Thanks for the check/comparison shot.
    Quite fascinating!
    Cheers,
    Bill.

Maxim Usatov
    Participant

Interesting activity tonight.

Jeremy Shears
    Participant

Nice work Max!

Paul G. Abel
    Participant

Pleased to report that T CrB is now accessible from my observatory! I shall be keeping a close watch of this star.

Steve Brown
    Participant

I took a DSLR shot of T CrB on 13 April 2024, to enable me to compare it to a subsequent eruption image (hopefully). I’ve posted it here and in the Gallery.

Steve

Attachments:
Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.