In 2018 the BAA Council approved the formation of an Exoplanet Division within the Asteroid and Remote Planets Section.
If you wish to become involved in any way use the 'Contact the Director' link on this page. There is no joining fee and your name and email address can be added to the Exoplanet mailing list should you so agree. BAA members can use the Exoplanet forum, available via the BAA home page, to ask questions or make comments. You can also contact the Assistant Director directly as above or by email once addresses have been exchanged.
Our immediate priority is observing transits – the passage of an exoplanet in front of it host star. We would hope to cater for beginners through to experienced imagers and be able to fully analyse the results obtained.
Longer term we proposed to include;
- Gravitational microlensing follow-up
- Radial velocity measurements
- Participation in pro-am projects
- Involvement in Project Argus which uses amateur radio telescopes
- An understanding of astrobiology because searching for extra-terrestrial life is THE objective of exoplanet research
- Encourage participation in Citizen Science analysis of transit light curves
- Participating in the search for extra-terrestrial intelligence via the SETI@Home project
- Space – progress in manned spaceflight
- Establishing links with related organisations
A list of projects can be accessed via the Projects page listed on the right of this page. This is very much in development and will be expanded over the coming months.
Your patience is requested – the learning curve is long and steep.
- BAA Spring Meeting 2022 - Prof Brad Gibson, Hull – “Stellar Winds: Givers and Takers of Life”
2022 Apr 24
- Planet-eating White Dwarfs - BAA Summer Webinar 2021 part 2
2021 Jun 27
- Winchester 2021 - On an Exoplanet Far, Far Away- Dr Jessie Christiansen
2021 Apr 11
- Winchester 2021 - BAA Exoplanet Division
2021 Apr 11
- BAA Christmas Webinar - Fantastic Planets & How to Find Them
2020 Dec 6
- An introduction to exoplanets
- ARIEL ExoClock pro-am project
- PLATO Space Mission pro-am project
- Pro-am project - 'Microlensing Search for Exoplanets'
- Exoplanet Transit Imaging and analysis Process
- Meetings listing
- Web links
- Asteroids and Remote Planets Section Director: Dr Richard Miles
- Assistant Director: Jonathan Blake
- Assistant Director (Exoplanets): Roger Dymock
- Exoplanets Technical Advisory Group (ETAG): Simon Downs, Steve Futcher, Paul Leyland, David Pulley, Mark Salisbury, Americo Watkins