Welcome to the BAA Saturn, Uranus and Neptune Section.
In these pages, you will find information on how to observe these fascinating worlds. You will also find information on how to contribute to the section’s activities in line with the section’s observational programme. Observations may be made by visually or by imaging techniques. Visual report forms can be downloaded from this webpage.
A brief history of the section is also given with a list of past section directors.
Starting in 2020, there is now a running commentary on the current observations of each of these planets which will be updated every few weeks. A selection of observations made by section members is given in the Apparition Gallery section.
Apparition reports are made based upon the analysis of all observations submitted. These reports are published in the BAA Journal and recent ones are available on this website.
A brief listing is also given of the spacecraft that have visited these planets.
Membership of the section is open to all members of the British Astronomical Association. Observational material, written contributions and correspondence are however welcome from anyone with an interest in any of these three planets.
For further information, please contact the director.
- SGM, The George Alcock Memorial Lecture ‘Great Storms on Saturn’, The eclipse of VV Cep, Sky Notes
2022 May 26
- Observing the satellites of the giant planets
2022 Jan 13
- Live Observing of the First Quarter Moon, Saturn and Jupiter
2021 Oct 14
- Neptune at Opposition - Webinar
2020 Aug 19
- BAA Weekly Webinar - Observing Saturn in 2020
2020 Jun 24
- Uranus 2023 Apparition Notes
- Neptune 2023 Apparition Notes
- The Section Team
- History of the Saturn, Uranus and Neptune Section
- Neptune 2022 Apparition Notes
- Saturn 2022 Apparition Notes
- Uranus 2022 Apparition Notes
- Observing Programme
- Apparition Galleries
- Apparition Data 2023
- Apparition Reports
- Section Members' Web Pages
- Spacecraft to Saturn, Uranus and Neptune
- Director: Mike Foulkes
- Assistant Director: David Graham
- Assistant Director (Uranus Coordinator): Kevin Bailey
- Assistant Director (Neptune Coordinator): John Sussenbach