Reply To: Partial solar eclipse of 2022 October 25

Forums Sun Partial solar eclipse of 2022 October 25 Reply To: Partial solar eclipse of 2022 October 25

Duncan Hale-Sutton
Participant

Hi Steve.

Wow, that’s great. It is nice to see that you could get a measurement for the magnitude and the obscuration which so nicely agrees with the prediction. Very satisfying. As regards my formula I am pleased that you could verify it. I too slogged through some trig but I spotted this simplified form of it at the end. I must work out what roughly the errors would be on these values given that you could measure things to within a pixel or two. I haven’t actually checked the assumption that the moon and the sun were approximately the same apparent diameter for this particular eclipse. Oh, actually, on that diagram of the eclipse in the handbook it has the apparent semi-diameters of the sun and moon at greatest eclipse (S.D.=…). Taking these to be the numbers we need it would imply that the moon was slightly smaller than the sun?

Thanks also for explaining about the eclipse diagrams in the handbook. Yes, that link you gave to that NASA page does definitely help! I will keep a note of it.

I also liked your two videos of the eclipse, especially the second one which shows that the path of the eclipse is a straight line. Very clever.

Duncan.