Reply To: Fantastic auroral display happening now (19:00 UT 5th Nov)

Forums Atmospheric Phenomena Fantastic auroral display happening now (19:00 UT 5th Nov) Reply To: Fantastic auroral display happening now (19:00 UT 5th Nov)

Duncan Hale-Sutton
Participant

I am slightly at a loss to understand why there hasn’t been much comment on here from the Aurora section about what we saw on Sunday night. From what I have read STEVEs are a relatively new phenomenon which haven’t been well observed and aren’t well understood. I have seen people say that they are difficult to see, but this one wasn’t. It was as clear as a bell and wasn’t limited to either the east or west horizon. It went in a clear arc from the eastern horizon to the western horizon in a continuous band. What is more, each termination at the horizon was associated with a red display of auroral (?) light both east and west. Added to this it appeared to flow from east to west (and never the reverse) with bands moving along its arc. I was surprised that my pictures on the gallery seemed to generate little interest. I uploaded them pretty much as they came out of the camera so the scientific value of them wouldn’t be lost by making alterations.