SS Cyg – Is outburst starting?

Forums Variable Stars SS Cyg – Is outburst starting?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mr Ian David Sharp
    Participant

Hi all,

I don’t want to ‘cry wolf’ here but my photometry from last night, and the latest I’ve seen on the AAVSO site, might suggest the awaited outburst might be starting?

My last night’s R mag has jumped up since a couple of nights ago and my V mag is higher than recent ones from others. It might be nothing!

Cheers
    Ian.

Attachments:
    Gary Poyner
    Participant

Well it was certainly a little brighter this morning visually, so the next 24-48 hrs will tell. It’s approached magnitude 11.0 a few times since the April outburst and returned to it’s normal state, so it’s anybodys guess what will happen next.

Gary

Mr Ian David Sharp
    Participant

Thanks Gary,

I’m going to image it as long as I can tonight from here and Spain. Maybe I will detect a brightening over the night?

Ian.

Gary Poyner
    Participant

Cloudy here this evening, but looks like SS Cyg is at mag 10.1V according to latest from AAVSO – so in outburst!

Gary

Mr Ian David Sharp
    Participant

Yes!! I’m thrilled!

I captured 120 exposures in both R and V last night here in the UK and also in Spain. I’ve processed one set of V and one of V so far. See the attached light curves from both AAVSO and BAA databases. I’ve caught the rise right in the middle by the looks of things.

Ian.

Mr Ian David Sharp
    Participant

I’ve processed one set of V and one of V so far.

Should be R and V – sorry.
    Ian

Mr Ian David Sharp
    Participant

Now all my R and V data from last night is in the database. Here’s a zoom in to it.

Ian.

Jeremy Shears
    Participant

Nice catch, Ian. Well done!

Mr Ian David Sharp
    Participant

Thanks Jeremy!

I’ve added a batch of R and V from last night. Looks like it’s at, or near to its peak.

Cheers
    Ian.

Mr Ian David Sharp
    Participant

Good morning,

I’m pleased to report I haven’t missed a night in both V and R since the outburst. Here’s the light curve to date.

Cheers
    Ian.

Attachments:
    Jeremy Shears
    Participant

Keep going Ian!

Mr Ian David Sharp
    Participant

Hi all,

Looks like the recent outburst is, all but, over. An interesting divergence of the R and V magnitudes as it faded. See attached.

Cheers
    Ian.

Attachments:
    Mr Ian David Sharp
    Participant

Well, the outburst is definitely over, and much narrower that the previous one. See attached.

Cheers
    Ian.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.