Nominations invited for the eighth Sir Patrick Moore Prize
2021 July 31
The annual Sir Patrick Moore Prize of £500 plus a year’s membership of the BAA may be awarded to any person, group, society or school (whether member or affiliate of the BAA or not) for one or more of the following areas of activity, selected to reflect Sir Patrick’s life and enthusiasms:
– The encouragement of a public interest in astronomy;
– A contribution to the understanding of the history of astronomy;
– Outstanding observational work by a member or members under 21 years of age;
– The encouragement of participation in observational astronomy by youngsters;
– The carrying-out of a collaborative research project, whether between amateurs only, or also involving professional astronomers.
Last year’s prize was awarded to Rita Whiting (pictured) for her work over many years engaging the public in astronomy at Crayford Manor House Astronomical Society and BAA events.
Council is now inviting nominations for this year’s Prize. Nominees may be nominated by themselves or by another. Please send nominations, including a short statement explaining the reason the person or group should be considered for the awarding of the Prize, to Madeleine Davey at the Office (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org) by Sep 30. Nominations will be considered by a committee, which will make a recommendation to Council, and the Prize will if possible be presented at the Christmas Meeting.
David Arditti, Chair, Sir Patrick Moore Prize Committee