Anyone using ALADIN Desktop (and/or AIJ) ?

Forums Imaging Anyone using ALADIN Desktop (and/or AIJ) ?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Robin Leadbeater
    Participant

I am playing with ALADIN desktop, trying to import and overlay plate solved images from AIJ. Drag and drop works ok but when I ask ALADIN to orientate the image north up/east left, the image panel goes blank (The image is still there as the cursor shows the counts at the pixel position, just not visible.)

Alternatively is there a way to get AIJ to re-orientate the image first and save it ?

Thanks
    Robin

Peter Mulligan
    Participant

Hi Robin
    Just click the View tab on the top menu there you will see a north up East left, just tick that, short cut Alt+X
    This works in my ver 12
    Peter

Robin Leadbeater
    Participant

Hi Peter,

Yes that is what I am doing (also the icon at the foot of the image frame) It appears to work but the image is just greyed out. lets see if I can attach an example

Peter Mulligan
    Participant

I used a plate solved image of NGC654 which was oriented N up E to the right. I used the N up E left tick button which corrected it to N up E left. With your image of M101 it greys out like you say and can be brought back by clicking the north button at the bottom of the screen. I see the image is nearly corrected at the proper orientation and is Plate solved. There is an Aladin manual ver 10 available on the website maybe there’s more info about this in there
    Peter

Robin Leadbeater
    Participant

Thanks Peter,

Yes if you unset the orientation eg by clicking the icon at the bottom of the image frame it does as you say then display the image but with the original orientation. It is most peculiar as as moving the mouse over the greyed out image to locate the high counts where the stars are does confirm it actually performs the reorientation and you can display the brightness histogram etc but it just refuses to display the image for some reason. I guess there must be something odd about the image that it does not like. It is a pity as my intention was to give it a plate solved spectrograph guider image and overlay it on a DSS/SDSS image to check the position of the slit is correct for objects which are too faint to see in the guider exposures. I will reread the manual and perhaps try some other images.

Cheers
    Robin

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.