Article in today’s Observer about BAA pioneers Annie Maunder and Alice Everett

Forums History Article in today’s Observer about BAA pioneers Annie Maunder and Alice Everett

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

In the BAA Historical Section, we’ve been working with the Catalina Sky Survey in the US, to name asteroids which they have discovered after pioneering women from the early days of the Association. This has now come to the attention of the national press! I was contacted mid-week by Donna Ferguson of the Guardian, who has been researching an article about BAA stalwarts Annie Maunder (asteroid 50726) and Alice Everett (50727).

Donna’s article appears in today’s Observer (p.24) and on the Guardian website.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2023/sep/10/giant-leap-for-women-early-lady-astronomers-have-asteroids-named-in-their-honour

I’ve been a Grauniad reader for decades, and contributed to their Notes and Queries column, but this is the first time I’ve been quoted in an article!

Mike Frost

Richard Miles
    Participant

Read all of the article – fascinating accounts of the life of these two ladies. Well done to you and to the Historical Section. The article also helps keep the BAA’s name in the public eye and helps our mandate to highlight the roles of women in astronomy, hopefully encouraging others to sign up as members of the Association.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.