CG Dra: a VSS campaign

Forums Variable Stars CG Dra: a VSS campaign

Viewing 16 posts - 181 through 196 (of 196 total)
  • Author
    Maxim Usatov
    Participant

Eclipses No(s): 101
    State: Outburst

Just when I thought I’ve seen it all, yet another surprise from CG Dra. The data is noisy, as it’s getting low on the sky, slightly over 30 degrees at midnight, with the Moon visible early in the night and clouds interfering throughout. The profile appears to be U/L/PEH – U-shaped, low orbital hump, post-egress hump (PEH), however, PEH appears to be very wide, lasting about half of cycle. Almost like an anti-phase orbital hump. I don’t remember seeing this profile before. Note, also, a single spike to almost 15.6 magnitude.

Max

Attachments:
    Jeremy Shears
    Participant

Never a dull moment with this CV, Max!

Maxim Usatov
    Participant

Eclipses No(s): 102
    State: Fading

Appears to be U/H/PEH again, first seen during the fading stage. Prolonged standstill on the egress, potentially signifying a compact bright spot. Assuming this is correct, post-egress hump (PEH) could be explained with an optically think accretion disk, and not an extended bright spot, although we have seen PEHs appearing during outburst stages as well.

Max

Attachments:
    Maxim Usatov
    Participant

Eclipses No(s): 103
    State: Quiescent
    U?/N/A.

Attachments:
    Maxim Usatov
    Participant

Eclipses No(s): 104
    State: Rising
    Accretion disk-dominated U/L/S eclipse profile. Appears to be acceptable quality data even during the Moon up high.
    Max

Attachments:
    Maxim Usatov
    Participant

Eclipses No(s): 105
    State: Outburst
    U/H/PEH profile – now seen at all stages of CG Dra except the bright outburst stage.
    Max

Attachments:
    Maxim Usatov
    Participant

Eclipses No(s): 106
    State: Quiescence
    Bad conditions due to clouds, but we can still make out U/N/A-type profile.
    Max

Attachments:
    Maxim Usatov
    Participant

Eclipses No(s): 107
    State: Outburst or the beginning of a Bright Outburst

I’m still here, just that the weather doesn’t really help. CG Dra is visible for only a few hours until it sets too low at about midnight. This coming week, I think, is going to be very important, as this dwarf nova will go into its fourth bright outburst since this continuous light curve effort started, and it would be nice to understand if bright outbursts are indeed as periodic as they seem.

This appears to be a symmetric eclipse, but the orbital hump “iceberg” visible here is of almost 0.2 magnitude amplitude, which is quite odd. In this state CG Dra profile should be accretion disk-dominated, as it’s hot and ionized. As the bright spot supposed to be of constant flux due to the constant mass transfer in the widely accepted outburst model, it shouldn’t appear here at all. I wonder if we are looking at an increased mass transfer episode here, and if so, is this something that triggers bright outbursts?

Max

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Maxim Usatov.
    Attachments:
    Jeremy Shears
    Participant

Fingers crossed for good weather for the upcoming bright outburst Max

Jeremy Shears
    Participant

Just to add that single point observations of CG Dra are also especially welcome over the next days to constrain the start of the next bright outburst to which Max refers

Maxim Usatov
    Participant

Thanks, Jeremy.

Eclipses No(s): 108
    State: Fading

Looks like E107 was a normal outburst. Bright outburst expected next.

Max

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Maxim Usatov.
    Maxim Usatov
    Participant

We’re just past the bright outburst. Data continues to flow from A1, I’m submitting to the BAA database. (It would be nice to automate submission somehow – an API would be great!)

Max

Maxim Usatov
    Participant

CG Dra fading from the bright outburst that peaked on 24th.

Jeremy Shears
    Participant

Thanks Max. Good to hear!

Maxim Usatov
    Participant

I keep monitoring CG Dra and it’s an interesting sharp-peaking short “bright outburst” I’ve never seen before, or could be an illusion due to patchy data. (This year’s May/June is really rainy in Spain.)

Max

Jeremy Shears
    Participant

Very interesting- thanks for highlighting this Max.

Hopefully you’ll get better weather from now on.

Viewing 16 posts - 181 through 196 (of 196 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.