CG Dra: a VSS campaign

Forums Variable Stars CG Dra: a VSS campaign

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 196 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Shears
    Participant

Impressively tight data, Max!

Maxim Usatov
    Participant

Thanks, Jeremy!

Today’s data – really interesting. Note the eclipse profile is asymmetric with what appears to be a gentler egress on the first event. The second dip is ~ 0.1898 d from the first one, so looks like I was lucky and that is the second eclipse this night, also with a gentle egress. Could be something going on with the accretion disk?

Seeing conditions improved later into the night, with better precision on the second eclipse. Periodic interruptions in the light curve are refocusing events at 30-minute intervals. The telescope decided it wants to autofocus near both minima. I’ll increase the period to 60 minutes to minimize this effect.

If I combine this data with the previous night’s run (with polynomial fit to remove the trend) I get 0.189617 +/- 0.07808 d period reported using the ANOVA algorithm, which appears to be in good agreement with the 0.1893 +/- 0.0006 d period used by Bruch et al. (1997).

All the data is in AAVSO and BAAVSS databases.

Max

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Maxim Usatov.
    Attachments:
    Jeremy Shears
    Participant

Super – many thanks Max. All very interesting indeed.

Maxim Usatov
    Participant

Today’s data. If this is an eclipse, what would explain that it didn’t fully recover until about 3.6 hours later?

Max

Attachments:
    Jeremy Shears
    Participant

Not sure Max. Does the main dip coincide with the time when an eclipse should have occurred?

Maxim Usatov
    Participant

Yes, all three coincide except that the minima of the first one visually appears to have occurred earlier than calculated:

5/23/2022 22:45:13 2459723.44807 59722.9480699999 OBSERVED (EARLY)
    5/24/2022 03:16:52 2459723.63671 59723.1367100002 OBSERVED
    5/26/2022 00:33:17 2459725.52311 59725.02311 OBSERVED

I have estimated ToM using Peranso and numbers from Shears et al. (2008).

Max

Maxim Usatov
    Participant

Data from today, at quiescence. Noisy data, as we approach 17th mag, and the seeing wasn’t perfect. Looks like we see another pair of eclipses with an asymmetric profile. Looking at various literature breaking down DN light curves, I think this curve can be explained with a low-inclination grazing eclipse and a hot spot responsible for the ingress hump. Things going through my head:

1) If CG Dra has developed a hot spot and switched to asymmetric profile, how typical this state switching is for dwarf novae?
    2) Is there any user-friendly light curve modeling software so we could try to build a model of the system to fit this data?

Max

Attachments:
    Maxim Usatov
    Participant

Data from today, at quiescence. High-quality measurement, also asymmetric profile with gentler egress. Looks like a hot spot. Later into the night a single 0.2 mag brightening point – is this something like a flare? I am going to take a break until June 4th, hopefully to continue monitoring CG Dra on return.

Max

Attachments:
    Maxim Usatov
    Participant

AoV fitting.

Attachments:
    Maxim Usatov
    Participant

Squeezed one more run before the break.

Attachments:
    Jeremy Shears
    Participant

Great stuff – thanks Max

Maxim Usatov
    Participant

Back to monitoring. Severe turbulence at the beginning of the session as the telescope was still cooling down, but I thought I’d remain this in the dataset as it appears to capture the ingress hump (hot spot?) I think that it’s another eclipse near the end of the session in the morning when SNR began to decrease. Period precision keeps improving.

Max

Jeremy Shears
    Participant

Thanks Max. Good to see you back!

Maxim Usatov
    Participant

Thanks, Jeremy!

Attachments:
    Maxim Usatov
    Participant

Today’s data. CG Dra on the rise. The gap in data during the eclipse coincides with the GEM meridian flip. Eclipse also partially visible at the beginning of the session. Pretty stable atmosphere tonight with 0.025 sigma on the check star despite all the heat – could barely cool the sensor down to -20C at midnight. Hot spot (?) hump visible prior the eclipse, along with the gentle egress.

It is interesting also to observe how nights are different “photometrically” as the processing pipeline is fixed. I think this is the most tight data of all so far.

Max

Attachments:
    Jeremy Shears
    Participant

Those data really are incredibly tight, Max!

Maxim Usatov
    Participant

Another good night. Outburst appears to be leveling off at a fainter magnitude. Ingress hump not as pronounced.

Attachments:
    Maxim Usatov
    Participant

Fading. Not very good sky conditions.

Attachments:
    Maxim Usatov
    Participant

Clouds tonight. Not sure if data of this quality should be submitted to AAVSO/BAA VSS – please advise.

Attachments:
    Jeremy Shears
    Participant

No problem submitting, Max. Researchers can subsequently apply any data quality selection criteria they wish. Without any data they have no choice. The other consideration is that your data, at the very least, provide a snapshot of the system status at that time.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 196 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.