Dustball meteor

Forums Meteors Dustball meteor

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Bill Ward
    Participant

Hi,

For a number of years now I’ve been running several WATECS with 12mm and 25mm lenses in what I call my Narrow Field of View Experiment, NOVEX for short. Looking past the video composite images reveals a whole new dynamic. Like video meteor spectroscopy it can tell us a lot about the “stuff” of the meteoroid.

I’ve posted some results here but this morning I got a particularly nice “dustball” meteor. These must have a distinct physical makeup as they disintegrate into a cloud of debris that fades away as it ablates.

I’ve recorded several of these in the thousands of “regular”, perhaps more solid meteors, I capture. I think I’ve posted one spectrum here (the only one so far!) of this type but it would be great to get some more to see if it is a particular type of material that exhibits this behaviour.

Video is here: https://youtu.be/X6yafm_Dgg4

It’s all good stuff!

With my NHS hat on, keep thoroughly washing those hands (including up over the wrists), and faces too…. keep the wee b……d’s well and truly off!

Stay safe.

Cheers,

Bill.

Mr Jack Martin
    Participant

Bill,

Good work, well done.

Jack

Essex UK

Bill Ward
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks Jack.

When I get a bit of time I’m hoping to review all of this years captures to try and get some numbers on how many exhibit this type of behaviour.  Maybe a summer time project when I switch my gear off for a clean up around the solstice.

Cheers,

Bill.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.