Earth calendar

Forums General Discussion Earth calendar

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

It is possible to invent a calendar in which every month starts on the same day of the week.

Let us take thirteen months of twenty-eight days. This totals 364 days.

So once a year we insert a day between Sunday and Monday to bring it up to 365 days.

Every four years we insert another day between Sunday and Monday. I now suggest the new days could be called Christmas Day, and Leap Year Day. These are not days of the week, but holidays.

Then we need to give a name to the extra month. We could call the months 1 to 13 – which is bound to be the short form anyway, but it would be nice to give them romantic names.

Logically, therefore, every month would begin on Monday, and end on a Sunday.

Old calendar

Year day

New calendar

Year day

January

Month 1

New Year’s Day

February

March

April

c. 80 Equinox

84 or 91 Easter

May

June

July

August

c. 172 Solstice

September

October

November

c. 265 Equinox

December

Tredeciber

c. 355 Solstice

Between Sunday and Monday

Christmas Day

Between Sunday and Monday

Leap Year Day

We could keep all special days on the same year-days of the old calendar, so they would then be on different dates in the new calendar.

Easter is normally the first Sunday after the first full moon after the vernal equinox. I suggest that Easter would be the first Sunday of the 4th month.

I spoke to a Catholic priest a few years ago, and he said that the days of the week go back to the time of Christ, and cannot be changed.

But a few centuries ago we adopted the Gregorian calendar. stripping out 11 days of the week!

This calendar has the unique property of a fixed relationship between the month and the days of the week.

It would also be simpler to know when the new moon falls, because it is about one day later each month, except when the intervening days occur.This has been mooted in the past, but at present, we are in a time of great upheaval caused by the pandemic, and I felt that the world needed to reset itself into a new way of thinking. Therefore, I worked further on the idea, and found it even better than before. Each week and each month of the year would start on a Monday, and end on a Sunday.

I would be interested to hear what others think about this idea?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.