Hoping for a lift south from Greenock next Sunday

Forums BAA Events and News Hoping for a lift south from Greenock next Sunday

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi all,
    I’m hoping to attend the BAA one-day meeting in Greenock next weekend.
    I booked train tickets to-and-from Scotland a week or two ago but have now been informed that my train back from Glasgow to Preston on Sunday morning has been cancelled. This appears to be because of engineering works south of Glasgow as the dreaded replacement bus services appear for later services on the same route.
    Is anyone able to offer me a car lift south to Preston on Sunday morning?
    Thanks if you can.
    Mike Frost

David Arditti
    Participant

I’ve encountered this problem of the trains on the West Coast Main Line on Sunday as well, Mike. It means I’ll have to travel back to London using a complicated route via Edinburgh, walking between the two Glasgow stations.

This doesn’t help you however; you may have to use the dreaded rail replacement buses.

David

Thanks to all at Greenock who enquired about my travel plans.

In the end, I took the earliest train from Greenock to Glasgow and blagged my way onto an early replacement bus to Carlisle. This was followed by a second replacement bus to Preston, where I missed my original connection by ten minutes. But I was now on a functioning rail network and able to return home on alternate trains.

So, I set off an hour earlier than planned and got home an hour later. Could have been worse.

The Greenock meeting, on the other hand, was outstanding – a beautiful location by the Clyde estuary, great speakers and a wonderful concert performance by the Voices of Argyll. Well-done to all involved, but especially to Marian of the Inverclyde Skywatchers, who was an outstanding organiser.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.