Litigation by BAA

Forums General Discussion Litigation by BAA

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tony Hersh
    Participant

I was interested in the latest BAA journal to read that the BAA is involved in two ongoing legal cases one of which “there has been substantial costs involved“. Can we know how much has been spent on this litigation so far and what future costs might be ? I couldn’t see any reference to money spent on this in the BAA financial statement in the same edition of the Journal. Shouldn’t members be consulted before exceptionally large sums of the assets of the BAA are spent ?
    Tony Hersh

David Arditti
    Participant

The financial statement published in the Journal is an abbreviated version of the full financial statement which should be published on the website. I have just looked for it and found it has not yet been published. My apologies for this oversight, and thanks for bringing this to my attention. I will see that it is fixed shortly.

The full financial statement has this paragraph on page 21, which answers your question:

‘The British Astronomical Association has been notified of a will in which they are beneficiary. However this is currently being contested. The charity will be liable for the advice in arriving at a decision. The cost of the legal fees to settle this case may be deducted from the estate or may be awarded against the Association. To date, approximately £30,000 of costs have been incurred by the Association and further costs of up to £70,000 could be expected.’

As you will be aware, the Trustees are elected by the members to manage the assets of the Association. They keep this case, and expenditure on it, constantly under review. They believe it is highly likely that the BAA will win this case and these costs will be recovered, plus more. However, it is our duty to tell the members that there is a chance that the case could be lost and the costs could be awarded against the Association.

You would be, of course, quite at liberty to ask questions on this at the AGM. The case of the Roy Panther estate is in the public domain, and has been widely reported.

David Arditti, President

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by David Arditti.
    James Lancashire
    Participant

There is also a previous forum post (also containing earlier reference) to the background in a TV programme
    https://britastro.org/forums/topic/roy-panther-heir-hunters-catch-up-tv

David Arditti
    Participant

The full financial statement is now available to members here:
    https://britastro.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/BAA-2023-Financial-Statements.pdf
    Sorry for the delay.

Duncan Hale-Sutton
    Participant

Hi David. I didn’t need to be logged in to read this pdf via this link, so I guess it is visible to non members too. Don’t know if this is an issue. Duncan.

David Arditti
    Participant

No I don’t see any reason why it should not be visible to the public.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.