Moon solves Hubble tension

Forums General Discussion Moon solves Hubble tension

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Dr Andrew Smith
    Participant

This https://arxiv.org/abs/2203.16551 was published today claiming a solution to the Hubble tension by using the recession of the moon from the earth. Regards Andrew

Dr Paul Leyland
    Participant

One of several such papers uploaded today.

Steve Holmes
    Participant

An interesting paper but unfortunately total nonsense. I am preparing a detailed rebuttal but that is not top of my ToDo List currently – watch this space!

Robin Leadbeater
    Participant

I am preparing a detailed rebuttal but that is not top of my ToDo List currently – watch this space!

Its OK the deadline is not until 1st April 2023

Steve Holmes
    Participant

Yes, it would be nice to think that (as you imply) this was simply a “Poisson d’Avril” but a quick literature search indicates that it’s not the first time that such an “explanation” has been put forward, apparently seriously, and of course (as current world affairs have shown only too shockingly) even the most outrageous mis-information will be believed, and spread, by somebody. The fact that in this case the mis-information is in the form of a scientific (or perhaps I should say pseudo-scientific) paper submitted to arxiv will tend to lead credence to the “research” even though it was published on 1st April and so I felt I should counter the arguments made so at least readers of the Forum who are not perhaps au fait with cosmological ideas will not be deceived.

As previously stated – watch this space!

Dr Andrew Smith
    Participant

Glad to see at least some members have a sense of humour. Regards Andrew

Jeremy Shears
    Participant

While composing your rebuttal, Steve, you might like to munch a Jaffa biscuit: https://arxiv.org/abs/2103.16575

Steve Holmes
    Participant

Superb! Thanks for bringing this item to the attention of a wider readership Jeremy. Understated humour and irony coupled with (apparent) scientific rigour is clearly a winner! And, most importantly, the correct conclusion is reached – which I would be celebrating with one of the famous cakes were it not for the fact that I currently do not have any in stock. A Digestive cake biscuit is thus having to suffice.

Daryl Dobbs
    Participant

While composing your rebuttal, Steve, you might like to munch a Jaffa biscuit: https://arxiv.org/abs/2103.16575

No doubt listing to the Max Jaffa orchestra at the same time.

Do we have the embryo of a new BAA section the Jaffa Section as clearly there is a lot of research to be done especially with the variation of recipe’s around.

Steve Holmes
    Participant

Right then – here it is! “Hubble Tension Refuted” – without recourse to the consumption of orange flavoured cakes (sic!) or listening to famous bandleaders of the same name. However, even sticking to the salient points the discourse turned out to be quite long so I am presenting it as an attached PDF rather than “inline”. I hope this will not discourage interested members from reading it however – comments are welcomed and invited!

Attachments:
    Dr Paul Leyland
    Participant

Daryl wrote in https://britastro.org/forums/topic/moon-solves-hubble-tension#post-609557

Do we have the embryo of a new BAA section the Jaffa Section as clearly there is a lot of research to be done especially with the variation of recipe’s around

The Oxford University Astronomical Society conducted a great deal of research into the physics of the Jaffa Cake back in the 70’s and early 80’s. I can still remember some of the results and perhaps there are other ex-OUAS members of that era who are now BAA members.

I seem to remember that the symmetry of the ground state ensemble was something like quintuplet-N-27/2 with at least four excited states known. The Jaffa Cake is not a fundamental particle in that it has substructure composed of chocons, jamons and cakons, the last of which decay into crumbons.

It is a great pity that this topic came up too late for Heather Couper to contribute. I am certain that she partook in that research.

Dr Andrew Smith
    Participant

Nice rebuttal. I especially like the claim to non-linearity always effective in my view.
    Regards Andrew

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.