N 2024 Oph (V4370)

Forums Variable Stars N 2024 Oph (V4370)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Stewart John Bean
    Participant

Hi all,
    I have taken an image with the Slooh Chile 2 V to follow this nova. The images look fine ( although a crowded field) but the magnitudes produced using the Vphot, using the Variable star plotter sequence for V4370, produce a magnitude of 12.0. Others are giving a magnitude of 13.5 for the same date. This is the first time that I found a big discrepancy between Vphot and the results reported to the AAVSO.

Saturation of the detector looks fine. I am using COMP stars 113, 128, 133 from the V4370 sequence.

If anyone is also following this nova what are your COMP star details?

Regards

Stewart

Jeremy Shears
    Participant

Hello Stewart,

I was looking at Mazin Younis’s fine image of the nova (https://britastro.org/observations/observation.php?id=20240316_060436_8e8e3dc829f92b9d) and noticed it was a busy field, yet the VSP chart shows no bright stars that might contaminate the photometry aperture. The nearest is 113, but that’s still a fair distance. What does a visual sense check of the image suggest relative to the comps: 12 or 13.5?

The most recent obs at 13.2V on March 16.792, though that observer seems to report almost a mag brighter than others. What is the time of your observation compare? And just to confirm you deployed a V filter (the nova is much brighter in R).

JS

Stewart John Bean
    Participant

Jeremy,
    The image has a JD of …384.896.
    Gary Poyner has, I think, taken the ultra wide field ( Y Slooh in his nomenclature) scope image from the same run and obtained Mag 11.6 (V) so that is reassuring. He has done the same the following night and obtained 12.3 .

Mazin has marked star 113 as the nova and given different coordinates to VSX. VSX gives 17 39 57.08 -26 27 41.9.
    The nova is close by and very red towards 10 o clock.

Direct measure of the brightest pixels in my image gives

V4370 113 128
    11,000 21,000 4000

So I think around Mag 12 is about right for Mar 15.9 but means that there is a two mag difference in V between these results and those from some experienced observers. This is a situation that is unsettling and probably has to do with the redness of the nova. I have not reported my results to AAVSO.
    Stewart

Gary Poyner
    Participant

I too am a little mystified by the photometry in the AAVSO database. I went back to the image after I saw it, and double checked I had ID’d the correct star – which I had.

I used the normal wide field image from the Slooh Chile 2 scope for both measures. The ‘Y’ is the AAVSO code for active. The image was measured with AIP4WIN.

Gary

Stewart John Bean
    Participant

I have emailed Andrew Pearce to ask for the sequence he is using.

Robin Leadbeater
    Participant

A spectrum from 2024-03-12 by the 2SPOT team (amateur remote echelle spectrograph in Chile)
    http://www.spectro-aras.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3122

Very red continuum with very intense, very broad H alpha

Stewart John Bean
    Participant

thanks Robin. Redness is probably at the centre of this topic.

Stewart John Bean
    Participant

Andrew Pearce has kindly provided me with the three sequences used on each of the telescopes he uses.

I have applied each sequence to the Mar 15 Slooh V image in question and found that all sequences, plus AAVSO, give a Magnitude of 12 or there about. Min is 11.86; max is 11.99.

I will now reply to Andrew with fuller details and share the Mar 15 image with him via Vphot.

Stewart

Stewart John Bean
    Participant

~I checked that saturation effects are not relevant by using a short exposure of 10 s instead of 45s. The V magnitude is in line with the trend.
    So no further to understand why Slooh Chile 2 V produces much lower magnitude values.
    Stewart

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.