Occultation of Uranus during lunar eclipse

Forums Moon Occultation of Uranus during lunar eclipse

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Dominic Ford
    Keymaster

I had an interesting email this morning from somebody pointing out that there will be a lunar occultation of Uranus during next week’s total lunar eclipse, on 8 November 2022. Having looked into it, I think they’re right.

Unfortunately neither the eclipse, nor the occultation, are visible from Europe. I’ve attached my visibility maps for both events below. The occultation is only visible from the northern Pacific – Russia, China, Japan and Alaska – which I fear are countries where the BAA doesn’t have many members. The lunar eclipse is also visible from the USA, and I imagine photographers there will get a rather nice view of Uranus in very close conjunction with the eclipse (but no occultation).

My correspondent wanted to know how rare it is for a planetary occultation to occur during an eclipse. I don’t have a figure for this, but I can only assume that it’s extremely rare indeed!

My full calculations of the two events are here:

Eclipse: https://in-the-sky.org/news.php?id=20221108_09_100
    Occultation: https://in-the-sky.org/news.php?id=20221108_16_100

Alex Pratt
    Participant

Hi Dominic,

Have a look at this message on the IOTAoccultations forum

https://groups.io/g/IOTAoccultations/message/72766

and the discussion thread.

Cheers,

Alex.

Dominic Ford
    Keymaster

Thanks, Alex – that’s really useful. It’s always nice when somebody else has already done the difficult calculations! 🙂

Nick James
    Participant

Fascinating.

Following Alex’s link gets to a rather complicated map but, if I understand it correctly, the whole event is only visible during totality from Indochina. I’ve just checked using Stellarium and, indeed, they have a good view of this from Hanoi. The next time this happens is 2235 so I guess we are quite lucky!

I wonder if we will see any pictures of it.

Nick.

Alex Pratt
    Participant

Hi,

World map for Uranus event attached.
    A month later, on December 8, Mars will be occulted by the Full Moon. (World map attached) and see p. 39 of the 2022 BAA Handbook. Observers in the British Isles will be well placed to see it, although it’s an early hours show.

Alex.

Alex Pratt
    Participant

Hi,

Locations in Asia for the Uranus occultation (txt file)
    Lunar diagram showing locations’ chords.

Computed by Occult.

Cheers,

Alex.

David Arditti
    Participant

I mentioned and illustrated the occultation of Mars on the night of its opposition, December 8, in my Sky Notes at the end of the AGM (which is now on YouTube). This is between 5:00 and 6:00 exactly from London.

I was aware of the occultation of Uranus, but did not mention it as it is not visible from the UK.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.