R Crb

Forums Variable Stars R Crb

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Howard Davies
    Participant

After many months of not been visible  in my 20cm sct R CRB seems to be on the rise at est mag 11.1  on 2014-08-26.

Gary Poyner
    Participant

Indeed Howard. The recovery started around April/May this year, and R CrB is now at it’s brightest level for 15 months or so. The previous partial recovery was slow, taking around 18 months to complete 4 magnitudes.  This one is rather steeper, taking just over 3 months to cover the same magnitude.  Might this mean that R CrB will get brighter this time?  We will have to wait and see.  

I’ve uploaded an up-to-date light curve from BAAVSS observers to the front page of the VSS web pages.  Unless anything else interesting happens I’ll try to keep this plot updated weekly and post to the web site, so that we can all see if this recovery is the real deal or not.

Clears skies,

Gary

Gary Poyner
    Participant

R CrB is now visible with binoculars for the first time since 2007.  As of the evening of Oct 11 it could be seen with 10×50’s (from Brum) at magnitude 8.8.  The rise at the moment is ~0.1 mag every 2 days, but this could change of course in the coming days/weeks.    

This looks as if it could be the recovery we have waited 7 years for.

Gary

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.