Request for observations of the nearby supernova SN 2024cld

Forums Variable Stars Request for observations of the nearby supernova SN 2024cld

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Shears
    Participant

Tom Killestein, who won the BAA Sir Patrick Moore prize in 2016, is now a postdoctoral researcher at the University of Turku in Finland, studying supernovae and other transient events with large-scale sky surveys. He makes a request for observations of SN 2024cld. Tom has asked me to relay his requests:

“I’m leading studies of SN2024cld (https://www.wis-tns.org/object/2024cld), a nearby supernova in NGC 6004 that we (the Gravitational-wave Optical Transient Observer, https://goto-observatory.org/) discovered around 10 days ago. This supernova is special as we discovered it within 12h of it exploding, and we’ve gathered a really comprehensive dataset (including some space-based observations) that I’m writing up for publication. It’s now among the brightest supernovae on the sky at 15th mag, so wanted to pass it along:

a) to raise awareness of this SN as a target that might be interesting for members to image (and even get spectra of) – it will remain bright for the coming weeks and has good visibility from the UK. The host galaxy is especially nice, with the supernova exploding on a spiral arm – I have made some colour images from my data for our paper, but I’m sure those with a talent for astrophotography can create some really stunning images of this event.

b) we’d be really interested in any serendipitous observations members may have taken of NGC 6004 around the explosion time – covering 12th to 14th February. This is of course a long shot, but observations at this phase, even shallow ones, are incredibly diagnostic in constraining the ‘shock breakout’ phase of the supernova, which would directly tell us about the star that exploded.”

SN 2024cld is a Type II SN and was discovered at mag 17.96 on Feb 13 in NGC 6004, at RA 15:50:21.557 Dec +18:56:20.16

Tom can be contacted at: thomas.killestein [at] utu.fi

Robin Leadbeater
    Participant

That’s odd. According to time on the confirming spectrum on TNS, it was taken a day before the discovery date

Robin

Dr Paul Leyland
    Participant

It will have to wait for a few days. The moon is so bright tonight that the sky is very obviously blue and I still have vestigial colour vision in the red-orange-yellow part of the spectrum.

Blue sky at night, astronomers take fright.

Gary Eason
    Participant

It will have to contend with my apple tree, too!

Kwong Man
    Participant

Very interesting. This is a very small galaxy (obviously) less than 2 arc minutes. Do you have an ideal focal length/size of telescope to image it, it is still relatively low in the sky in the London area.

Jeremy Shears
    Participant

I’ve not seen any recent imaging or photometry, which I think is why Tom Killestein is calling for observations.
    It is located 15″.8 west and 0″.3 south of the center of NGC 6004.
    This is a pretty faint SN (mag 17.4 at discovery), so you will need a fairly large telescope and long exposures (minutes). The London skies won’t help, but give it a try – you never know what you might turn up.

AlanM
    Participant

I was lucky to get an image of NGC 6004 using the COAST facility at telescope.org last night. It looks around mag 15 if I’m looking in the correct location and not being seduced by a nearby star

Attachments:
    Jeremy Shears
    Participant

Great capture Alan. I think it’s flipped E-W

Kwong Man
    Participant

Hi, nice photo. Is the SN a bit off the centre of the NGC 6004 ?

Thanks.

Robin Leadbeater
    Participant

That’s odd. According to time on the confirming spectrum on TNS, it was taken a day before the discovery date

Robin

Followed this up with the GOTO team. The date of the spectrum was indeed wrong and is now corrected in TNS

Robin

AlanM
    Participant

Great capture Alan. I think it’s flipped E-W

E-W/N-S always get me!

Hi, nice photo. Is the SN a bit off the centre of the NGC 6004 ?

Thanks.

Yes. It is worth checking here:
    https://simbad.cds.unistra.fr/simbad/sim-basic?Ident=NGC6004&submit=SIMBAD+search

Attachments:
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.