Satellite trailed images resource

Forums Imaging Satellite trailed images resource

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Dr Paul Leyland
    Participant

The latest Rubin Observatory newsletter advertises a colloquium for Monday 3rd October entitled: “Trailblazer: An Open Data Repository for Satellite-Streaked Images”
    By Meredith Rawls and Dino Bektesevic.

I am not sure whether it would be appropriate for me to post the Zoom link but the abstract reads:

An increasing population of commercial satellites is significantly impacting ground-based astronomical observations. To address this, we have built a new Trailblazer web portal, which aims to enable quantitative studies of streaks from satellites in images as the satellite population changes. Trailblazer is written in Python and Django, and allows users to upload and retrieve images affected by satellite streaks. Trailblazer stores uploaded FITS images in the cloud and saves key header information in a metadata database. Users can run queries to find satellite-streaked images by date and time, observer location, sky position, telescope, instrument, and band or filter. Images and metadata may be accessed through a RESTful API or a web query interface. To better disseminate the impact of satellite streaks on astronomy, each image also appears in a gallery for users to browse. Trailblazer is designed to be accessible to astronomers and other stakeholders to collaborate on mitigating the impact of satellite streaks, and is a cornerstone of SatHub at the new International Astronomical Union (IAU) Centre for the Protection of the Dark and Quiet Sky for Satellite Constellation Interference (CPS). Trailblazer launched in June 2022 thanks to funding from the LSSTC Kickstarter Grant Program, which enabled us to pay undergrads for software development. Check it out and upload your satellite photobombs: https://trailblazer.dirac.dev.

I’ve taken a quick look at https://trailblazer.dirac.dev/about/ and it looks as if it should become a valuable resource.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.