SN 2019vxm – a bright IIn supernova in a faint galaxy

Forums Variable Stars SN 2019vxm – a bright IIn supernova in a faint galaxy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Robin Leadbeater
    Participant

I have confirmed and classified this transient as a type IIn supernova using my ALPY 200 spectrograph (The 31st TNS classification using this setup)

http://www.astronomerstelegram.org/?read=13326

https://wis-tns.weizmann.ac.il/object/2019vxm

It  was mag 15.6 (g) measured from the guider image when the spectrum was taken but the nearby presumed host galaxy is rather faint and until now of unknown redshift. The redshift measured from the spectrum is 0.019

The early rise was caught in the field of the TESS satellite so it will have a detailed light curve. 

Cheers

Robin

David Swan
    Participant

Congrats. It is at a nice northerly declination, so convenient for us. The transient is located near the Cyg-Cep-Dra intersection, which is halfway up the zenith for me at 2100 at this time of year. I’ll try to capture an image tomorrow.

Robin Leadbeater
    Participant

This is how it looked in the guider 2019-12-01T17:18:12    3 hours after the discovery was announced (South is up)

Dr Andrew Smith
    Participant

Well done Robin. Did you miss posting the image? 

Regards Andrew 

David Swan
    Participant

It is all very mysterious, Andrew. If I look at the thread on my laptop, Robin’s image is there to see (there’s a green circle around the transient, and red circles around photometric comparison stars). There is an empty box where the image should be when I look on my ipad, and no box at all when I look on my phone! And I initially thought your comment was a bit passive aggressive. I do apologise for my uncharitable – and fortunately private – reaction.

Dr Andrew Smith
    Participant

Noble of you to lay bare your private thoughts. I think I have a jinx with the web site.

Regards Andrew 

David Swan
    Participant

Midpoint 2019/12/06 17:31 UT

Pos Angle +93° 35.7′, FL 391.6 mm, 1.26″/Pixel

David Swan
    Participant

Taken through a luminance filter only, with zeropoint from UCAC4 R mags, the SN comes out around R = 14.4

The timestamp is slightly wrong. I leave Astrometrica to take the start of exposures from individual FITS for track and stack (which is correct). It won’t automatically read the midpoint value put in the header by Maxim when I do a prior stack in that software. Of course I could input the midpoint manually into Astrometrica using the image parameters menu…

Dr Paul Leyland
    Participant

Unfortunately, I see no image with Chromium on a Ubuntu system.

Looks like the web site not be as portable as desired.  8-(

Dr Paul Leyland
    Participant

Unfortunately, I see no image with Chromium on a Ubuntu system. Looks like the web site not be as portable as desired 8-(

This is what the HTML looks like which, incidentally, gives the URL of the image:

This is how it looked in the guider 2019-12-01T17:18:12 3 hours after the discovery was announced (South is up)

Nothing obviously wrong so perhaps it’s in the CSS?

David Swan
    Participant

I’ll mention the issue to Dominic Ford at the next webops (if he doesn’t pick this up before that).

Robin Leadbeater
    Participant

It appears on my pc (win 7 /chrome) but not in another chromium based browser or on my phone (android/chrome)

Here it is again in case it was a one off glitch

Robin Leadbeater
    Participant

I have just posted the image again here

https://britastro.org/comment/7489#comment-7489

and strangely the original image now appears everywhere it should !  Work that one out 

Robin Leadbeater
    Participant

If the redshift based distance (~80Mpc) is correct, mag 14.4 works out at an impressive absolute magnitude of -20.2 , thought to be boosted by interaction with circumstellar material in the case of type IIn

Robin

Dr Andrew Smith
    Participant

I was beginning to think it was me!

Regards Andrew 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.