Star Alalyser 100

Forums Spectroscopy Star Alalyser 100

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hi, 

I was given a Star Analyser 100 for Christmas. I have a basic knowledge of Astronomical Spectroscopy. I’m looking for advice on what other equipment I need to obtain Spectra effectively.

Kindest Regards,

Garion     

Robin Leadbeater
    Participant

Also the manual can  be downloaded from the Paton Hawksley website which has some advice on suitable equipment in the FAQ 

http://www.patonhawksley.com/resources

Hi, 

Currently I have an Orion Starshoot colour solar system imager IV. I was thinking of in investing in additional camera if you could recommend one. thank you for the links unfortunately the first one wont open I have downloaded the manual I will read it later. 

Many Thanks, 

Garion 

Robin Leadbeater
    Participant

Hi Garion,

Do you have any astro-imaging equipment ?  I developed the Star Analyser as a simple way for people to get their feet wet in this field so pretty much any equipment can be used to get started.

There is also a section here specifically devoted to spectroscopy 

https://britastro.org/forum/143

Cheers

Robin

Robin Leadbeater
    Participant

It looks like some extra characters got attached to the spectroscopy section link – fixed now.

perhaps the webmaster can move this thread there ?

The Starshoot might work to get you started but I have heard reports that it goes completely blank on fainter objects (even Saturn!) rather than show a noisy image so it might not work so well. In any case a mono camera would be much better for science (including spectroscopy and photometry) so that could be the way to go if that is where your interests lie. 

I see from your own page on here you have a small Newtonian on a driven mount. That will work well with the Star Analyser.  For starters, just focus the Star Shoot on Betelgeuse, then screw the SA on the front of the camera nosepiece, refocus slightly to pick up the features in the spectrum  and see what you get. (There will be two spectra, one either side of the star image, go for the brighter one and adjust the exposure so it is not over exposed). You should be able to see something like this spectrum of Delta Virginis on my website, though perhaps without the extended range into the IR as your camera probably has an IR blocking filter built in. The broad bands are from TiO molecules which form in the atmosphere of cool stars.

http://www.threehillsobservatory.co.uk/astro/spectra_14.htm

Good Luck!

Thank you very much!

Please could you recommend a affordable more suitable camera. 

Many thanks 

Garion 

Robin Leadbeater
    Participant

It depends on your budget and what else you plan to do with the camera really.  There is a lot of choice out there. Simple CMOS mono cameras with 1/3 size sensors typically used as guiders work ok with the SA, can be used for simple imaging of planets and brighter deep sky objects and can be bought from around £150-180.  If you want a camera which can take spectra and images of faint objects or do photometry though then a camera with a  larger size cooled sensor would be better and more versatile but are more expensive, typically ~£800 to the skies the limit. Good value can sometimes be found second hand though as people trade up. I have bought through Uk AstroBuySell for example. 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.