Two comet’s in one night

Forums Comets Two comet’s in one night

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Posted by Paul A Brierley at 18:24 on 2011 Sep 14

Reading Martin Mobberley’s article in my October AN.I’ve noticed. We have the rare opportunity to view two, reasonably bright comet’s during late September and October.C/2009 P1 Garradd. And one, which I didn’t know about, C/2010 X1 Elenin.I have been watching Garradd as it slowly move’s against the back ground milky way star field’s.The comet is an easy target through my hand-held 10×50 glasses from my holiday on Anglesey. And it is also quite visible from my home in East Cheshire. But I have not seen C/2010 X1 Elenin yet.During my stay at our star party (thanks Callum) I shall endeavour to see both P1 and X1 during the cause of a night’s viewing.I might even try to see the other two fainter comet’s mentioned in Martin’s article.

Posted by Graham Relf at 10:11 on 2011 Sep 15

C/2010 X1 Elenin is currently very near the Sun, as can be seen on the Computing Section’s site: http://britastro.org/computing/applets_planets.htmlYou can use our applet to see how it moves past the Sun and out to become observable. However, I believe there is still some doubt as to whether it will survive perihelion and be as bright as hoped.You can track many other comets on our applet, including all those currently at the top of the Comet Section’s list.I managed to photograph C/2009 P1 Garradd last night – the first proper clear night for many weeks here. Photo can be seen here (Flickr)

Posted by Callum Potter at 15:43 on 2011 Sep 15

Hi Paul,as i mention in the October Journal Sky Notes, recent reports on Elenin suggest it is breaking up, is a lot fainter than expected, and may not survive perihelion.Of course, it is still worth checking it out – comets are notoriously unpredictable! It will be a couple of days into October before it will be high enough to see in the morning, before sunrise.Callum

Posted by Graham Relf at 14:33 on 2011 Sep 29

I managed 2 comets last night: C/2009 P1 Garradd AND 78P Gehrels. The latter is much harder to see but here’s the result using Canon EOS 5DMkII at orime focus of 254mm f/4.8 (f=1200mm) Newtonian: 78P is in Pisces, directly under the square of Pegasus, so not very high up. I you want to know where exactly to find it use the Computing Section’s applet: http://britastro.org/computing/applets_planets.html Add the object, click on it to see details, click the button for drawing a chart.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.