Use of Historic Material from the Journal

Forums Website News and Help Use of Historic Material from the Journal

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Bill Barton
    Participant

What copyright exists for the JBAA?

I’d like to use an image as part of an article about a BAA Member who lived in my area in the early twentieth century.

Jeremy Shears
    Participant

Hello Bill,

The Journal is copyright of the the BAA. Individual articles, illustrations, etc. remain the copyright of the author or the imager, whose permission must also be obtained.

I suggest you contact the author of the article in which the image you are interested in appears. In my experience this is usually all that is required. They may request you give some sort of credit for using the image and you might like to consider citing the BAA Journal. It’s worth bearing in mind they they might not own the copyright either, but have permission from the actual copyright owner to use it for the sole purpose of illustrating their article – in which case you need permission from the actual owner.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Jeremy

Bill Barton
    Participant

Jeremy,

The image I would like to use was published as a frontispiece in volume 42 and printed between pages 90 and 91.

The photographper died in 1934, so is unavailable to contact for permission.

Jeremy Shears
    Participant

Dear Bill,

sorry it’s taken me while to locate the image. If it is the  photograph of the lunar eclipse of 1931 Sept 26, I see no problem with using that image, with appropriate credit to the photographer and a reference to the JBAA.

Kind regards,

Jeremy

Bill Barton
    Participant

Yes, that’s the one. 

Herbert Tomkins lived locally and his biography is on the OASI website.

Thank You.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.