Using RVB Photometric Filters for DSO Imaging?

Forums Imaging Using RVB Photometric Filters for DSO Imaging?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mr Ian David Sharp
    Participant

I’m sure this is an oft-asked question but is it ok to replace regular R,G and B filters for R, V and B filters of the photometric variety? (in this case Baader Bessel filters)

I ask because I have the age-old problem of space in my filter wheel. I have a 7-pos FW and currently have L,R,G,B,Ha,OIII,SII fitted. I need to fit RGV filters so thought this might be the way to go. It’ll be in a C11 Edge HD system and I still want to image galaxies and planetary nebulae etc.

Thanks
    Ian.

Mr Ian David Sharp
    Participant

Hi all,

There has been quite a healthy discussion on this in the AAVSO forums and it seems that the answer is yes – there should be no problems doing this.

I’d still be interested in any experiences on this.

Cheers
    Ian.

Dr Paul Leyland
    Participant

On my last trip to La Palma I took some images in Sloan i’, r’ and Johnson V (I don’t have any other JC filters nor Sloan g’) of the M67 Landolt field. The primary interest is photometry calibration but I also realised that tri-colour images should be possible, even though they may look odd.

The images have not yet been processed but I will report back later.

Paul

Eric Watkins
    Participant

I once had a go at imaging M51 using clear,g’ and r’ sloan filters. A friend, Mark Large processed a small number of frames using Pixinsight.
    clear 10 x 50sec. r’sloan 20 sec x 50 sec and g’sloan 20 x 50 sec.

See the result on my BAA web page

https://britastro.org/observations/observation.php?id=20170821_004500_f3b880f4b6792db7

Eric

Mr Ian David Sharp
    Participant

Thanks Eric and Paul,

With the amazing Photometric and Spectrophotometric colour calibration processes in PixInsight these days I’m pretty sure it will all work out fine.

Cheers
    Ian.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.