Reply To: Elections to BAA Council

Forums General Discussion Elections to BAA Council Reply To: Elections to BAA Council

Andy Wilson
Keymaster

Publishing interim lists of nominees is an interesting idea. I have my doubts it would encourage many additional people to stand, but you never know.

As pointed out by James, the cost of the election is likely to be the same whether there is one or many more candidates than positions to be filled. If we find ourselves in a position where the number of nominees matches the number of positions for each role, then it would be sensible to consider whether an election should be held.

Looking back over recent ballots, only one person has stood for each of the key Officer roles. However, until the last couple of years there have been more members standing than there were positions to fill for both the Trustees and Council. In 2021 there were 6 members standing for the 5 Trustee positions. Going back to 2018 there were 10 candidates for the 5 Trustee positions and 14 for the 5 Council positions.

Combined with a lack of a volunteer to stand as the Meetings Secretary, this is a concerning decline in members standing for Council, Trustee and Officer positions. I wonder if this could be related to the lack of opportunities for informal chats at events during the pandemic, or if this is due to other factors that will continue the trend.

A final thought. It would be great to include any suggestions and concerns in the latest BAA survey. I have already used it to give some anonymous suggestions.

https://britastro.org/2023/help-shape-the-future-of-our-association

Andy

• This reply was modified 11 months, 1 week ago by Andy Wilson.