Antique Steinheil Muenchen Refractor

Forums Telescopes Antique Steinheil Muenchen Refractor

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Andrea Ballabio
    Participant

Hello everyone,
    my name is Andrea and I’m from Italy.
    This is my first post on this forum since I’ve joined the BAA this spring. I hope my message finds you well.
    I’m not really sure if this is the best section to make a post about this topic or if it would have been better to put it on the “History” forum. Anyways I’ll give it a go here.

I’d like to know more about an antique Steinheil Muenchen refractor telescope that I’ve recently found on a local website for buying and selling astro-gear. I’m really interested in buying it, as I’m quite fascinated by its history, but I have to admit that I’m not an expert in ancient telescopes (this would be my first one) and so I hope that some of you can help me!
    Under this message you’ll find attached some photos that the seller has shared.

The instrument is 70mm in aperture and bears the serial (I think) number 8915. We don’t know in which year it was made. It comes with several accessories and in particular three eyepieces of different (and unknown) focal lengths. The telescope is complete with a lens cap and a removable black mounting block has been added to allow its use with some modern mount, since the original one is absent. The seller has told me that the instrument is usable, but probaly in need of some cleaning and restoration. I haven’t personally seen it yet, because it’s a two and a half hours drive from my hometown to the seller location.

The seller doesn’t know how much he should ask me for it (he has received wildy different quotes) and I don’t know how much to offer. Can you guys give me a quote?

Thank you for your time and I hope to hear from you!
    Kind regards,

Andrea

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.