AstroImageJ and plate solved images

Forums Variable Stars AstroImageJ and plate solved images

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Robin Leadbeater
    Participant

I have been doing some time series photometry recently to complement pulsation radial velocity measurements and rather than use my aging manual software I have been learning to use AIJ. I have got it plate solving the series of images using a local version of astrometry.net and it is doing photometry on the plate solved series, based on a manually selected target and comparison star in the first image. All appeared to run ok but it got completely lost after a meridian flip so it seems it is not using the plate solved coordinates of the stars to track their location in the images. Have I missed a setting somewhere ?

Thanks
    Robin

Robin Leadbeater
    Participant

Have I missed a setting somewhere ?

Yep finally found the unticked checkbox. On to the next step…

Grant Privett
    Participant

Hi Robin. Just being nosey. Is the astrometry.net instance under WSL2 or cygwin or are you running Linux?

Dr Paul Leyland
    Participant

A local astrometry.net will also run under Windoze. It is what I use on my TCS. The search term “ANSRV” will find it for you if you are interested.

Robin Leadbeater
    Participant

Yep I am using ANSVR with Windows 10

https://adgsoftware.com/ansvr/

Grant Privett
    Participant

Ah, yes. I remember ansvr. Its a cygwin thing isn’t it? Surprised the guy who did the conversion job has not updated it Apparently, the absence of a true Windows version is due to the way AN maps the Index files to memory.

I was forced over to WSL (or Linux on a Rpi) because the ansvr version of AN is quite old and it was failing to solve some sparsely populated fields, while the latest AN did.

Ansvr certainly worked okay most the time though.

Dr Paul Leyland
    Participant

Ah, yes. I remember ansvr. Its a cygwin thing isn’t it? Surprised the guy who did the conversion job has not updated it Apparently, the absence of a true Windows version is due to the way AN maps the Index files to memory.

I was forced over to WSL (or Linux on a Rpi) because the ansvr version of AN is quite old and it was failing to solve some sparsely populated fields, while the latest AN did.

Ansvr certainly worked okay most the time though.

Thanks Grant.

Perhaps I should run the latest server on a Linux box which shares the control room with the Windoze TCS. It may well be faster and more effective than ANSVR (apologies for my typo earlier) but I’ve not yet done it on the grounds that if it aint broke, don’t fix it.

Both systems use the Gaia index files so images almost always solve because there is a large number of stars in those files. The Linux local astrometry.net installations (another one lives on my laptop) are not yet configured as servers so I will need to find out how to do that.

Grant Privett
    Participant

I currently use the 4100 and 5200H files as they give a V or Gaia g mag (I work unfiltered) and it allows the colours index of each star to be assessed.

One interesting thing to try is the Astrometry.Net –verify option. Got it going at the weekend (I use FITS bintables to identify star locations via columns of x, y, flux). Improves the number of stars employed in WCS polynomial generation (smaller median errors) and also helps Zp estimation. A useful refinement I think.

Dr Paul Leyland
    Participant

I am also on the astrometry.net mailing list and have been following your communications there with interest.

At present I’ve no real use for precision astrometry, using the plate solver only to find stars to within a few arcseconds which is plenty good enough for pointing a telescope and to enable APT to find a VS and its comparison sequence, then to do precision photometry.

On the odd occasion I do need good astrometry I use either Astrometrica, if it can be persuaded to work at all, or the IRAF tools.

Grant Privett
    Participant

I just ran the platesolving code with the astrometry.net –verify option fully implemented against a set of T Tauri data I collected last night and am getting a smaller positional error and 50% more stars to be used when estimating Zp.

Looks worth doing.

Must admit I only look at the forum when I have some specific problem in mind.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.