Astronomy themed pub in Goostrey, Cheshire

Forums General Discussion Astronomy themed pub in Goostrey, Cheshire

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Shears
    Participant

Yesterday I lunched at the Space Invader pub, just across the fields from Jodrell Bank. The pub signage included images of the iconic Lovell telescope and Sir Bernard himself. Inside there were pics of the telescope at various stage of construction, plus a few antique telescopes and even an oscilloscope.

The beer was excellent too. There is a possible link to a former Papers Secretary. Perhaps I will keep this for the Christmas Quiz……

Jeremy Shears
    Participant

I tried to add other posts with more pics but I got a “deprecated” message, so I will upload to my Members page
    https://britastro.org/observations/observation.php?id=20230409_183348_d332570a0ba2a64d

Jeremy Shears
    Participant
    Jeremy Shears
    Participant

Local transportation

Dr Paul Leyland
    Participant

Beautiful!

Martin Mobberley
    Participant

Glad you enjoyed the refreshments Jeremy!
    Some years ago BAA member Nigel Evans and his wife Alex dropped in on me after a visit to Jodrell Bank. They brought some cans of that beer along with them. I was not aware there was a brewery with my surname attached to it prior to that point! I was well aware of the nearby village though, as I had visited it in 1976 and posed by the signpost. There are not many Mobberley’s in the UK…less than a thousand according to census data, although there are various alternate spelling variants which increases the number and, worldwide, there are many more. The Mobberley name originated in Cheshire from that area. The original location in the Domesday Book, in 1086, was named Motburlege (meeting place in the clearing). Nowadays the vast majority of Mobberleys live in the Midlands, around Birmingham.
    Great that there is an astronomy themed pub!

Martin

Jeremy Shears
    Participant

Well, one branch of your family certainly makes very good beer, Martin!

I limited myself to 2 pints (which I understand is the standard SI unit of a single serving of beer according to another former Papers Secretary) as there was a traction engine to drive….

David Arditti
    Participant

If you wish to loose some weight after drinking that beer there’s a Moberley Sports Centre (one b) in Kensal Rise, NW London. I’m not sure if it should be pronounced Mobberley or Mowberley.

Martin Mobberley
    Participant

There is a character, an Antarctic scientist, with that single b spelling, in the Dr Who story ‘The Seeds of Doom’ (Jan-March 1976): a Derek Moberley. Sadly he meets a grisly end… killed by his colleague who has become infected by an Antarctic seed pod and turned into a ‘Krynoid’…….

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.