Betelgeuse

Home Forums General Discussion Betelgeuse

Viewing 8 posts - 61 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Shears
    Participant

I can’t believe it’s 2 years since the great dimming of Betelgeuse. The latest light curve was shown in the recent  Christmas Meeting Sky Notes by Nick James. There have been a couple of conferences dedicated to Betelgeuse in the last year. Here is a nice paper on “The curious case of Betelgeuse”, by Jacco van Loon (Keele U.) posted in ArXiv today.

Jeremy Shears
    Participant

The Great Dimming of Betelgeuse is still eliciting papers on what caused it, such as this one submitted to the MNRAS. The title asks “Did a close tidal encounter cause the Great Dimming of Betelgeuse?” and although the answer (spoiler alert!) seems to be “probably not”, it’s still an interesting read. 

Jeremy Shears
    Participant

Thanks Tim. Another interesting paper.

(For some reason, clicking the ArXiv linked brought up an error message for me; the link that worked for me is here)

Tim Parsons
    Participant

Thanks for the link Jeremy. Yet another recent one (with somewhat more enlightening conclusions regarding RSG mass-loss mechanisms) is from Roberta Humphreys and Terry Jones at UMinn. It can be found at: https://arxiv.org/abs/2201.07818

This includes discussion of Betelgeuse and comparisons with the hypergiant VY CMa.

Tim Parsons
    Participant

Cheers Jeremy – it was my fault as I just noticed I had added a blank space at the end! I think it works from my original post now as well…

Jeremy Shears
    Participant

Another paper (reprint from Nature) on ArXiv: A dusty veil shading Betelgeuse during its Great Dimming

Jeremy Shears
    Participant

An A&A preprint on ArXiv today reports the first 3D imaging of Betelgeuse, revealing massive convection cells.

Frustratingly, especially for the authors, their equipment was being upgraded during the “great fade” at the end of 2019/early 2020, so this was missed!

Daryl Dobbs
    Participant

Interesting prediction in the attachment below outlining a possibility of a fade in June.

ATel #15240: The brighter phase of Betelgeuse since 2017 (astronomerstelegram.org)

Viewing 8 posts - 61 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.