Does anyone need iTelescope points for a project?

Forums For Sale / Wants / Giveaway Does anyone need iTelescope points for a project?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Maxim Usatov
    Participant

I have an account at iTelescope with about 800 points I am not using – they have accumulated throughout a few years. I am thinking about canceling my subscription there, but this means I’ll loose all the points in 12 months. I would be glad to donate the account for something useful, so if you need telescope time, please let me know.

Max

Peter Goodhew FRAS
    Participant

Max, I’m involved in a Citizen Science Project called Backyard Worlds: Planet 9. See https://www.zooniverse.org/projects/marckuchner/backyard-worlds-planet-9/about/team
    They’ve asked me to capture as much data on an object that they are researching.
    There is some urgency as the object will soon be too low to capture until next winter.
    Specifically they need enough data to put together a case for time on the HST (HST cycle 32 is now open for proposals).
    Time on iTelescope would be invaluable in helping them put together the case.

Peter

Maxim Usatov
    Participant

Peter, I would be glad to help. How do I contact you off the forum? Can you please share your e-mail?

Max

Dr Paul Leyland
    Participant

What is the object and what sort of data is required?

I may be able to help.

Paul

Andy Wilson
    Keymaster

You can contact a member by clicking their name/image next to their forum post. This takes you to their profile page and then you can press “Contact” in the lower left.
    This sends an email, so it enables contact without sharing email addresses publicly.
    Cheers,
    Andy

Peter Goodhew FRAS
    Participant

Paul, it’s an object discovered in WISE data. It is an elliptical ring, visible faintly in W1, but mainly in W2.
    The team have taken a J band image from the Palomar 200-inch telescope, but could only get a faint detection of the nebula that overlaps the star inside the ring. They weren’t been able to detect the ring itself. While the ring is only detected in the infrared so far, the inner nebula does have an HSC (an instrument on the Subaru telescope) r-band detection from an archival PI large area survey, so we know that there is some visible light stuff going on too. R band on subaru coincides with the 656nm Halpha line, so we think that’s the best shot at getting a detection from the ground. While we don’t see a sign of a white dwarf at the centre of the ring, it is theoretically possible that this is some sort of strange planetary nebula or supernova remnant.
    The coordinates of the approx centre of the ring are 04:27:05.688 +34:15:00.00

Peter

Dr Paul Leyland
    Participant

I can take a look. I have SR, SI and TR filters available. SR has 90% transmission at H-alpha so perhaps that may be the best bet. I also have only 4% of the collecting area of the Hale but, there again, so does WISE.

No promises of seeing anything by myself, in other words, but perhaps any data I do take can be stacked with those of others.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.