EQ6 to EQ8 Pier conversion

Forums Telescopes EQ6 to EQ8 Pier conversion

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Grant Privett
    Participant

After 16 years using an NEQ6 with a variety of OTAs I am looking to upgrade to a mount capable of carrying a C14 in a very heavy bespoke set of tube rings.

After lots of reflection (months in fact), I have decided the Messu 200, Ioptron CEM120 and 10 microns are not for me.

While I would like a Software Bisque MyT – having used an MEII occasionally – I have noticed they rarely appear on the used market – and even then are often £6k+, which is more than I have in the budget.

Consequently, I am currently thinking of an EQ8-R with an OAG and possibly adding a Shibumi Astro Engineering upgrade to the gearing on the RA axis later.

So, I have a plan that is cunning and just about affordable.

Unfortunately, while my old pier is hugely robust it is topped with an adaptor plate for an EQ6. I can’t see an EQ8 sitting on that without modification and so I wonder if anyone on here has experience of this… Are there adaptor plates commercially available or do I have to perform major surgery on my pier? Theres one mentioned on the FLO website bit I’m not seeing how that works.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.