Filter defect(s)

Forums General Discussion Filter defect(s)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Tim Haymes
    Participant

I have a Baader Johnson/Bessel-R filter. This 1.25″ filter is a few years old and been stored in its box. It was about time i use it.

There are some interference rings within the filter construction. Would these effect the images ? The central area is clear. I have some Baader LRGB filters that dont show this effect. The R-filter is “partial dielectric design”.

I dont think any defects were visible when i bought it.

Any thoughts on this?

Cheers

Dr Paul Leyland
    Participant

Good question, to which I do not have an answer but do have a suggestion: suck it and see.

Take images of a field rich in stars with accurately measured BVR magnitudes (a Landolt field would be ideal, otherwise find a VS at the AAVSO) and see whether your R-band measurements show a systematic dependency on the tabulated B-V and V-R values. If you have Johnson B and/or V filters, so much the better.

Regular flats should take out spatial variation.

Robin Leadbeater
    Participant

The earlier Baader filters were conventional multilayered coloured glass filters which would explain the interference rings, with I believe a dielectric coating to block IR leaks (I have an old V filter from a different supplier which has delaminated on the edge.) The RGB and latest BVRI filters from Baader (and others) are now a single thickness of dielectric coated glass

Cheers
    Robin

Tim Haymes
    Participant

Thank you gentlemen. I have added the filter to my filter wheel and will investigate.
    Tim

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.