Fireball (?) spectrum 2024 07 31 : 00 19 30UT

Forums Meteors Fireball (?) spectrum 2024 07 31 : 00 19 30UT

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Bill Ward
    Participant

Hi All,
    As we edge towards darker skies and the Perseids I had the first clear night in a long while last night.
    Caught this nice Type A (Mg/+Na) spectrum. The sodium emission left a brief wake.
    See the usual assortment of pics below. I also caught it on another spectro system that showed the zero order meteor image itself (and a highly foreshortened spectrum too).
    Alex also seems to have captured it on his north facing camera.
    Roll on the Persieds.
    Bill.

Bill Ward
    Participant

I caught a very similar meteor in 2019. Video is here https://youtu.be/XLveGtJsvk4?si=wDjZ9dKAGo6ymLf1
    The one from this morning exhibited the same ablation/disintegration.
    The resolution of this mornings one is significantly better but the spectral type/form are the same.
    Whatever the mineralogy, the large sodium signal seems to indicate a particular meteor behaviour.
    Another little insight into things…
    Cheers,
    Bill.

Alex Pratt
    Participant

It was quite a cloudy night but the meteor was recorded on my Leeds_N UFO Capture camera. UFO Analyser gave it a provisional single-station classification as a mag -0.6 alpha Capricornid, which are relatively slow meteors with a geocentric velocity of 23 km/s.

Alex.

Bill Ward
    Participant

Just for a clarification. The first three images have the time as 0119, this is BST. Last image is 0019 UT.

Alex Pratt
    Participant

Hi Bill,

Re your ‘melting meteor’ from 2019. We have a match in the NEMETODE dataset – a 2-station capture by Andy McCrea (Bangor, N Ireland) and myself. It suggests a mag 0 sporadic, detected at 90 km altitude and extinguished about 10 km lower, with a 12 km ground track. Its Vg was about 18 km/s, so particularly slow.

Having looked at only a few examples of this nature, they had slow Vg and/or shallow angles of attack to the atmosphere.

Alex.

Bill Ward
    Participant

Hi,
    That’s great Alex.

Considering that once anything glows, it’ll give off a “spectrum”, I wonder just how much the entry conditions affect the spectrum as I record it?
    In real life so many variables and assumptions come into play. There’s a huge amount of theoretical work out there but as far as I can tell it still just boils down to observing and seeing what we get under any given conditions!

Certainly the ones that seem to crumble away at lower speeds are fascinating. This is the project that the old WATECS, I mentioned elsewhere, will be turned to…. eventually.

Bill.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.