Jpeg

Forums Imaging Jpeg

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I use a CCD camera and my LRGB files after processing in PIX insight appear fine but when saved as a Jpeg all I get is a black screen and useless in terms of uploading onto members images. I get the same result when using Maxim DL.

There must be something I am missing and would welcome feed back

Andy Wilson
    Keymaster

Hi Nick,
    I remembering seeing similar behaviour in Maxim DL if I didn’t set the options to save the stretched image to the dynamic range of the output file. I think what is happening is you are displaying the image with a certain stretch applied to the image brightness, setting what is dark to light. However, what is being saved is unstretched or a different dark to light stretch. This may be more important for jpeg as I think they have a limited dynamic range of 8-bit.
    Best wishes,
    Andy

Nik Szymanek
    Participant

Hi Nick.
    Yes, Andy is correct. If you don’t scale the image first (using the Histogram Transformation tool) the resulting JPEG file will show as a blank, black image. This also applies to TIFF format images which can be saved as both 16-bit and 32-bit files. Normal JPEGs are indeed only 8-bit but for posting online should be fine.
    Cheers,
    Nik

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.