So after collecting all the necessary parts I began the build,although my soldering skills are not something I can boast about! Using single core wire in the project box made life easier than using stranded (small pins on plugs and inlets on the relay board) but made the mistake of using 4 core telephone wire for the connection between box and Lhires,the four strands being thin and brittle gave me a few problems..In fact took longer making this lead up than it did putting the electronics together 🙁 Anyhow eventually got the wires soldered to relevant pins on the plugs and gave them a good dose of hot glue so as to seal and strengthen before putting the covers on. Plugged into computer,with the drivers loaded it’s all up and running perfectly with the box sitting on a shelf on the pier :))
That is a nice bit of remote control for your neon and flat field lamps. I did give it a bit of consideration, but found I don’t really need it at present. I am at the telescope when I change target, and everything is sufficiently solid that nothing moves when I flick the switches on the spectrograph. This would be great for remote observing!
Now that the lamps are automated it saves me having to keep getting up to manually operate the switches, plus there are times that I do control the kit remotely from indoors. Next couple of projects will be to add servos to the micrometer spindle and the collimating lens so as to aid remote grating adjustment and focusing.