Lyrid meteor shower peak 2024

Forums Meteors Lyrid meteor shower peak 2024

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Bill Ward
    Participant

Hi,

A disappointing return so far. With the peak blighted by very bright moonlight and a high pressure producing a lot of stratus and dense cirrus observing conditions were very poor (but bringing pleasant enough weather during the day in my part of the world…)

On 21/22 April I only caught 2 lyrids and 2 sporadics with the watecs but did get a fireball and spectrum on one of the HD systems. I’ve yet to confirm whether a Lyrid or not.
    …and last night 22/23 April was just about identical but with only 1 Lyrid and 1 sporadic! Pretty dire… : – ((

Bill.

Callum Potter
    Keymaster

Poor weather and bright Moon made it difficult here in Orkney too Bill.

My meteor camera recorded 10 Lyrids out of the 20 meteors detected.

The brightest here was mag -1.29 at 02:48 on April 23.

Lyrid meteor

Callum

Bill Ward
    Participant

Hi,
    After checking this evening I only got another 2 Lyrids from last night but there was a decent fireball on the HD systems from the previous night.
    I got the zero order on another camera… just.
    I can’t guarantee it’s a Lyrid so I’ll say “suspected” for the moment. However comparing to previous Lyrid spectra it looks like it’s one.

Cheers,
    Bill.

Bill Ward
    Participant

Callum,
    Is your image from a GMN system? What is the camera/lens configuration are you using?
    Cheers,
    Bill.

Callum Potter
    Keymaster

Is your image from a GMN system? What is the camera/lens configuration are you using?

Hi Bill – yes, just the standard kit – IMX291 and 4mm lens.

ATB
    Callum

Bill Ward
    Participant

Hi,
    Thanks for the info. I bought an assortment of bits before GMN even went live (this was after and IMC a few years back) and thought I’d put something together but the road to hell….
    So focused on developing the spectroscopy it was soon forgotten about, I recently found a couple of tiny board lenses in a box which prompted my question after seeing your pic. Might get around to it one day! ; – ))
    cheers,
    Bill.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.