Monte Umbe Eclipse

Forums History Monte Umbe Eclipse

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Alan Dowdell
    Participant

Greetings to those who where on the Monte Umbe 50 years ago today.
    We sailed from Liverpool on the Spanish ship the Monte Umbe on trip organised by Transolar Travel to the coast of Mauritania. The eclipse lasted for us almost 7 minutes finishing in a grand diamond ring.
    This eclipse was observed by a modified Concord,in later years I knew quite well one of the scientists on that flight.
    Thanks to Martin Mobberley the film of the BAA eclipse is available on U tube
    Great memories
    Alan

Tim Haymes
    Participant

Thanks Alan. This is a shock!
    I was one of many, and shared a cabin on one of the upper decks. The full-board cost for the 2 week cruise was £140.
    In the end we had a great eclipse despite some local fisherman removing the buoys careful positioned on the center-line (no GPS then).
    Alan Sidi made the film “Line to the Sun” Thanks to Martin for putting it on his channel. Great memories indeed.

Pink Floyd had just released Dark side of the Moon, and some folk on board were raving about it. To my embarrassment I’d never heard of the them !

Tim.

Gary Poyner
    Participant

Unfortunately I was just too young to go on the Monte Umbe trip (15y), but I was old enough to go to Earls Court to see Pink Floyd in May of ’73 to hear the whole of Dark Side of the Moon live. An eclipse is just an eclipse, but this gig will never be forgotton! I have no regrets.

Interestingly, EMI gave a press reception at the London Planetarium in February 1973 just after the release of DSOTM, but only Richard Wright of the band attended. The others were not happy with the inferior sound system brought in by EMI. Fussy lot these rock gods 🙂

Gary

Mr Ian David Sharp
    Participant

Unfortunately I was just too young to go on the Monte Umbe trip (15y), but I was old enough to go to Earls Court to see Pink Floyd in May of ’73 to hear the whole of Dark Side of the Moon live. An eclipse is just an eclipse, but this gig will never be forgotton! I have no regrets.

Interestingly, EMI gave a press reception at the London Planetarium in February 1973 just after the release of DSOTM, but only Richard Wright of the band attended. The others were not happy with the inferior sound system brought in by EMI. Fussy lot these rock gods

Gary

Indeed! I didn’t make the DSotM tour in ’73 but did go to see them at Wembley in ’74 (I was 14) thanks to a huge trip organised by our very own Dr John Mason! There were two coaches that went from the Chichester High School for Boys!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.