Nova in Perseus

Forums Variable Stars Nova in Perseus

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Robin Leadbeater
    Participant

This relatively modern paper sums it up (I did not realise before that some of these lines do not always track the dust or even each other)

https://arxiv.org/abs/1406.7006

Jeremy Shears
    Participant

This nova is still bright. I had it about mag 8.5 last night. 

Jeremy Shears
    Participant

Still bright – last evening I had the nova at V~8.3. Technically this is an easy binocular target, especially now the Moon is receding.

Jeremy Shears
    Participant

Here’s a light curve of the Nova which Philip Jennings just showed at the BAA meeting.

Prepared yesterday (Dec 4). Latest obs early this AM put it at mag 8.9

Jeremy Shears
    Participant

I just updated the LC with data up to 2021 Jan 2. The last data points hint that might be beginning to fade a bit faster. Keep watching!

When making this plot, I was struck by the undulations in the LC at ~daily intervals. I’ve not looked into whether these are artefacts or genuine.

Neil Thomas
    Participant

Here is what I have for this light curve, calibrated to G-band. It agrees quite well with that presented above, esp the transient brightening around 2459190. (Disregard the outlier around 2459200 due to overexposure.) I don’t have the continuity to confirm the undulations of ~1day mentioned above. But I have seen oscillations with a variety of short periods. I wonder if the data used to create the combined BAA/AAVSO figure is directly available so that I could more closely compare?

Jeremy Shears
    Participant

Yes you can download all the data from both databases. There is a link to the VSS db under “observations” at the top right of this page.

There is an updated light curve on the VSS website: https://britastro.org/vss/

Your dara show just how active this nova is!

Robin Leadbeater
    Participant

I see this has now faded to Vmag ~15 so  time for perhaps a last low resolution spectrum.  It shows a nebula type spectrum with strong forbidden emission lines, particularly [OIII] and a very weak almost undetectable continuum (The Y scale is relative to the continuum at 5500A and the signal/noise in the continuum is down in single figures). In fact I estimate 78% of the light in the V passband comes from just the [OIII] pair of lines at 4959/5007 A

Jeremy Shears
    Participant

Updated light curve until end 2021. Currently ca mag 15.5, some 4.5 mags above quiescence and worth following

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.